Make-it-Mine Egg Casserole
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 45 minutes
Stand: 10 minutes
- 4 to 5 cups Bread Cubes (see choices below)
- Meat (see choices below)
- Vegetable (see choices below)
- 4 to 6 ounces Shredded Cheese (see choices below)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups Dairy (see choices below)
- Seasonings (see choices below)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart square baking dish. Spread half of the Bread Cubes in the dish. Add the Meat, Vegetable, and Shredded Cheese. Top with the remaining Bread Cubes.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, Dairy, and Seasonings. Evenly pour over the layers in the dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Bread Cubes: white or wheat bread, English muffins, baguette-style French bread, sweet Hawaiian bread, Texas toast, pumpernickel, rye bread.
Meat: 2 cups chopped smoked sausage, 2 cups cubed cooked ham, 2 cups cubed smoked turkey, 1 6-ounce can lump crab meat, drained and flaked, 8 ounces cooked bulk pork sausage, 6 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled, 5 ounces chopped Canadian-style bacon
Vegetable: 3/4 cup chopped sweet peppers, 1/2 cup canned sliced mushrooms, 1-1/2 cups blanched cut-up asparagus, 1-1/2 cups blanched broccoli florets, 1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes, 1 cup fresh or frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry, if frozen)
Shredded Cheese: Italian blend cheeses, Swiss, cheddar, Monterey Jack
Dairy: milk, half-and-half, 1/2 cup dairy sour cream plus 1 cup milk
Seasonings: 1 tablespoon Dijon-style or coarse-grain mustard, 1 teaspoon dried dillweed, 1/4 cup sliced green onions, 1 tablespoon snipped fresh Italian parsley or basil, 1 teaspoon minced garlic.