Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours 15 mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed slightly
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut against the grain into 4 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup beef stock (or I used dry red wine)
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 16 ounces pappardelle pasta (or any kind of pasta will do)
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, for serving (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
In a small skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until golden and lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Season the beef with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes and broth over the beef and add the garlic, carrots, bay leaves and thyme.
Cover and cook on high for 6 hours, or on low for 8-10 hours. Discard the herbs and shred the beef in the pot using two forks.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions. Drain, return to the pot, and add the sauce from the slow cooker. Increase the heat to high and cook, stirring, until the pasta and sauce are combined, about 1 minute.
Divide among 8 pasta bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon Parmesan and (optional) 1 tablespoon ricotta. Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
Recipe appeared on Gimme Some Oven and was "used with permission [on that site] from Skinnytaste Fast and Slow: Knockout Quick-Fix and Slow Cooker Recipes by Gina Homolka"