Saturday, February 9, 2008

"Tell Him I'm Not Here"

Spotted this headline the other day: Bush Ready to Back GOP Nominee.

And . . . ACTION!

The lights come up on a den / living room / study. On a large desk is a phone, which begins to ring. The machine picks up:
"Hi, you've reached the McCains. We're out campaigning for the presidency and can't come to the phone. Leave a message and I'll have my people call your people back. Thanks and remember . . . Vote Republican!
[beep]
"Heh, heh, Hey John. It's um, George. I've tried callin' several times, but I keep getting this darn machine. Hey, um, John? Call me, huh? I've got some free time, that terra thang's doin' good and I gots some free time. Thought we could go out campaignin' together, you know like the old days? So, um, call me, OK . . .
The message continues to record and the camera pans over to a chair. In it sits a figure seen in shadow. He lights a match for a cigarette and we see Senator John McCain with a wry smile on his face. As the message finally ends, he leans over and presses the erase button.
"Yeah, right." says McCain.
And fade out.