Monday, January 8, 2007

More Cleaning!

The holidays are over. The tree(s) are coming down this week. The warm weather (73 degrees in Washington on Saturday!) has led me to a bout of "spring cleaning." The homestead contents have reached critical mass and I have been on a tear. It has also led my wife and I to begin revisiting the idea of finding a home. But more on that soon.

Within our home is a small storage area under the stairs. It is home to the family "archives" as well as our Christmas "stuff." Some work in that closet led to some more room and a more compact storage of the items contained therein.

I returned to the kitchen and cleaned out the remaining cupboards that had not yet been cleaned, organized, and weeded. I then cleaned the kitchen where one could eat safely off just about any surface.

There is something invigorating about cleaning, although emotional attachment (or the possibility of financial gain) leads to the retention of items and the issue of finding a temporary place to put them before they get their new lease on life.

Remaining to be done, the pantry in the laundry room (do we really need some old cans of sterno?) and my wife and my closets. My son's closet has also become a catchall for items needing a home and that closet is on the list (but he needs to be not sleeping in his room at the time).

All this cleaning is in a way, preparing me for this coming weekend. My father's home (the house I grew up in) is on the market. Anybody want to buy a house? There is A LOT of crap in that house. I come by the pack rat thing honestly. My sister who lives in North Carolina and I are heading home this weekend to clean, weed, and dispose of items both large and small. I am sure there will be less in that house when my sister and I are done this weekend.

2 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

First of all, you're going to clean your wife when you clean your closet? I fear for my best pal.

My parents are also putting their house on the market. We're going up in February to get what's ours. Best of luck to you!

Brave Astronaut said...

Heh, heh, that would be what we might call a "panda moment" a la Eats, Shoots and Leaves. That should read "my and my wife's closets." Her closet and my closet. Both of them. Separately. Until they're both done. You know what I mean.