"I know that everyone is excited about the reopening of Ford's Theatre in February 2009.The "reign" of George W. Bush will not officially come to an end until January 20, 2009. But his successor will be elected next Tuesday when the most historic election of a generation will take place.
Laura and I are very excited as well. Just send the pictures down to Crawford."
(applause and laughter)
Born into privilege, the eldest son of George H.W. and Barbara Bush, went to Phillips Academy at Andover and then graduated from Yale University. To avoid being sent to Vietnam, Bush reported for duty to the Texas Air National Guard. In 1978, he ran unsuccessfully for a seat in the House of Representatives, an election he lost by more than 6,000 votes.
Prior to becoming one of the owners of the Texas Rangers baseball team, Bush went into the family (oil) business in Texas. He sold his company and went to Washington to help his father in his campaign for the presidency. In 1994, he was elected Governor of Texas in the same year his brother, Jeb, was elected Governor of Florida.
Bush declared himself a candidate for President in 1999, proclaiming himself as a "Compassionate Conservative." I could surely go on and on about the election of 2000, but I will only use the words of the late Tim Russert, "Florida, Florida, Florida." And, of course, here is the document that allowed Bush to become President.
On September 11, 2001, the Bush presidency was transformed by the terrorist attacks on our nation. Bush sent the United States into war in Afghanistan and in 2003, he took the campaign to Iraq. Despite mounting opposition to the war, Bush was reelected in 2004. He will likely leave office with the lowest approval rating of any president in history.
- born July 9, 1946 in New Haven, Connecticut (age 62)
- Party: Republican
- Wife: Laura Welch Bush
- George W. Bush / Richard Cheney (R) - 50,460,110 (47.9%) / 271 EVs
- Al Gore / Joseph Lieberman (D) - 51,003,926 (48.4%) / 266 EVs
- George W. Bush / Richard Cheney (R) - 62,040,610 (50.7%) / 286 EVs
- John Kerry / John Edwards (D) - 59,028,439 (48.3%) / 251 EVs
- With his election as Governor of Texas, he became the first child of a President to be elected to the office of Governor.
- When he was reelected Governor in 1998, he became the first Governor of Texas to be elected to two consecutive four-year terms.
- Bush is one of three Presidents to be elected without winning a plurality of the popular vote.
- The Bushes and the Adams are the only father-son combination to serve as President.
- White House biography
- Republican National Committee biography
- Miller Center biography
- Famous Texans biography
- Time 100: George W. Bush
- NNDB entry
- C-SPAN biography
- A reserved website that will point to the future George W. Bush Presidential Library
- George W. Bush childhood home in Midland, Texas
- Google News search for George W. Bush