Tuesday, October 28, 2008

#43 - George W. Bush, 2001-2009

Unfortunately, this is not a post about this man.
"I know that everyone is excited about the reopening of Ford's Theatre in February 2009.
Laura and I are very excited as well. Just send the pictures down to Crawford."
(applause and laughter)
- George W. Bush, at the Ford's Theatre Gala, June 1, 2008
The "reign" of George W. Bush will not officially come to an end until January 20, 2009. But his successor will be elected next Tuesday when the most historic election of a generation will take place.

Born into privilege, the eldest son of George H.W. and Barbara Bush, went to Phillips Academy at Andover and then graduated from Yale University. To avoid being sent to Vietnam, Bush reported for duty to the Texas Air National Guard. In 1978, he ran unsuccessfully for a seat in the House of Representatives, an election he lost by more than 6,000 votes.

Prior to becoming one of the owners of the Texas Rangers baseball team, Bush went into the family (oil) business in Texas. He sold his company and went to Washington to help his father in his campaign for the presidency. In 1994, he was elected Governor of Texas in the same year his brother, Jeb, was elected Governor of Florida.

Bush declared himself a candidate for President in 1999, proclaiming himself as a "Compassionate Conservative." I could surely go on and on about the election of 2000, but I will only use the words of the late Tim Russert, "Florida, Florida, Florida." And, of course, here is the document that allowed Bush to become President.

On September 11, 2001, the Bush presidency was transformed by the terrorist attacks on our nation. Bush sent the United States into war in Afghanistan and in 2003, he took the campaign to Iraq. Despite mounting opposition to the war, Bush was reelected in 2004. He will likely leave office with the lowest approval rating of any president in history.

The Facts
  • born July 9, 1946 in New Haven, Connecticut (age 62)
  • Party: Republican
  • Wife: Laura Welch Bush
The Election of 2000
The Election of 2004
Trivia
  • With his election as Governor of Texas, he became the first child of a President to be elected to the office of Governor.
  • When he was reelected Governor in 1998, he became the first Governor of Texas to be elected to two consecutive four-year terms.
  • Bush is one of three Presidents to be elected without winning a plurality of the popular vote.
  • The Bushes and the Adams are the only father-son combination to serve as President.
Links
When Michael Moore came out with Fahrenheit 9/11 in 2004, it swayed some people to vote differently in that presidential election. Will Oliver Stone's new movie make a difference? I know that I want to see it but I already know who I am voting for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bush went to Phillips Academy at Andover, not Phillips Exeter Academy, as an Exeter Alumnus, I hope you understand why I'd be inclined to want to politely point that out

ADR said...

Spring 2009:

An old man was sitting on a park bench outside of the White House. He walks up to the Marine at the gate and says. "I'm an American citizen and I want to speak to President Bush."

The Marine says: "I'm sorry sir, President Bush is no longer President." The old man apologizes and walks away. The next day, the same old man returns to the same Marine. "I'm an American citizen and I want to speak to President Bush." Once again, the Marine says "I'm sorry sir, President Bush is no longer President." Once again, the man apologizes and leaves.

The next day, the man returns and walks up to the same Marine. "I'm an American citizen and I want to speak to President Bush." Now, the Marine gets a little upset. "Sir, as I've told you for the last three days, President Bush is no longer President."

The old man says, "I'm sorry to upset you, I just love hearing that every day." The Marine nods and says, "Then feel free to come by every day.

Lana Gramlich said...

I hate him, I hate him, I HATE HIM! I can't stand his weaseley voice or his arrogant face, gads how I HATE HIM!!!
I love ADR's little story, though! :)

Archivalist said...

I never thought I could dislike someone more than W. Then, Sarah Palin came along...

Brave Astronaut said...

anon - duly noted and corrected.

ADR - perfect!

Lana - again, I entreat you, give hope a chance, vote for change.

Archivalist - an interesting conundrum.