Monday, May 17, 2010

Comfort Food

Yesterday, Mrs. BA went off to pick up LBA from my MIL, where he had spent the weekend at her house. She took SoBA with her and I spent the day at the movies with a friend. We went to the AFI Silver Theater to see ZULU! as part of a Michael Caine film appreciation. It's one of those boy movies that one should see and always take the opportunity to see on the big screen if you can.

I was going to be on my own for dinner and if I had not had dinner out with the Major, I would have been on my own for dinner and I would have made my Mom's beefaroni for dinner as I don't have it too often. Cheverly Chef Scott posted a recipe on his blog to commemorate his fifth anniversary of blogging at Eat With Me. It might give my Mom's beefaroni a run for its money.

Tater Tot Casserole
  1. Brown ground beef and 1 medium, diced, onion.
  2. When cooked, drain off excess fat.
  3. Season with salt, pepper and other spices you like. Add 3 TB of butter.
  4. Add 3 TB of flour. Stir and cook for one minute.
  5. Add one cup of broth (beef, chicken or combo of both). Stir and simmer.
  6. Add 1-2 cups of frozen green beans or other veg (carrots, corn, etc.)
  7. Dump into a baking dish, top with frozen potato tots.
  8. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Dump on some shredded cheese, if you like. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
  9. Serve piping hot.
Enjoy!

No comments: