Emeril's Three-Cheese Baked Macaroni
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni 6 minutes (it will be undercooked). Drain. Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium and add bacon. Cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon mixture to a medium bowl. Add macaroni and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and evaporated milk. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, cayenne, nutmeg, and cheeses; mix well. Add macaroni mixture and stir well to combine. Transfer to an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish or 2-quart gratin dish. With a spoon, gently spread mixture to form an even layer. Bake just until sauce is bubbling at edges, 12 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.