Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

Today is Valentine's Day - the commercial holiday to remind those of us in love that we can buy things for those we love.  Well, I don't need just one day for that - I can do that all the time.  I am very lucky to have Mrs. BA and I love her very much.  I often say that everyone should have what we have, if they did, the world would be a much better place.

We did not go out to eat tonight - it was taco night at the launchpad - though we will have pizza / movie night tomorrow night.  We did have crepes on Tuesday to celebrate Mardi Gras, so we're doing alright.

I found this list of "America's Best Historic Restaurants" a while back (on CNN).  I noted with some surprise that I had been to the first one on the list (it's the only one I've been to).  It's a great place for Washington people watching.
  1. Old Ebbitt Grill - Washington DC
  2. Keens Steakhouse - New York City
  3. Canlis - Seattle
  4. Pacific Dining Car - Los Angeles
  5. Swan Oyster Depot - San Francisco
  6. Jacob Wirth - Boston
  7. Cisco's Restaurant Bakery - Austin
  8. Commander's Palace - New Orleans (I keep meaning to go here when I'm in NOLA - maybe this year at SAA)
  9. Calumet Fisheries - Chicago
  10. Ralph's - Philadelphia
Following an outcry from smaller restaurants and cities - CNN came up with a "second helping" of historic restaurants.
  1. Columbia - Tampa, FL
  2. Louis' Lunch - New Haven, CT (allegedly the birthplace of the hamburger)
  3. Samoa Cookhouse - Samoa, CA
  4. Brookville Hotel - Abilene, KS
  5. Shady Glen - Manchester, CT
  6. Cold Spring Tavern - Santa Barbara, CA
  7. Red Fox Inn and Tavern - Middleburg, VA
  8. Al's Restaurant - St. Louis, MO
  9. Chef Vola's - Atlantic City, NJ
  10. The Bright Star - Bessemer, AL


1 comment:

Anna van Schurman said...

I've only been to Commanders Palace.