Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Quest for the Cup begins

Tomorrow night begins the NHL Playoffs and the road to the Stanley Cup. One thing is certain. With the absence of both the Edmonton Oilers and the defending champion Carolina Hurricanes (sorry, Archival Trash), there will be a new team skating with Lord Stanley's hardware.

To prevent me the embarrassment that accompanied my baseball picks last fall, frequent Order from Chaos reader and commenter, ADR offers his predictions for the first round of playoff hockey. I will state up front (I know, it's the kiss of death) that I agree with his choices. Let's see how he does.

So, for all of our mutual friends - and to see if I really know anything, here is a NHL playoff preview. We'll start out West, if only to force C in DC to read until the end to see what I really think about Buffalo.

Nashville v. San Jose - This series will be the one that I will probably watch the most. I like the way both teams play and think all the games will be close. Nashville has made plenty of progress over the last couple of years - and their gamble that Peter Forsberg will make the difference for them was a bold stroke. San Jose has great chemistry and always seem to make the big play when they need. Nashville in 7 hard fought games.

Vancouver v. Dallas - Roberto Luongo has made all the difference for Vancouver. I have been very impressed watching him (when I can stay up that is) and really have to wonder why Florida let him go. Though Dallas has a style that lends itself to playoff hockey, I do think that Luongo will outplay Marty Turco. Vancouver in 5.

Anaheim v. Minnesota - I think the Wild is the one team that could really create an upset. Head Coach Jacques Lemaire knows how to win in the post-season. The thing is, Anaheim has been the consensus pick to win the West since the middle of the season. I don't think they have been playing as well as they could - but it's difficult to pick against a team with offense (Selanne's 48 goals) and two outstanding defensemen - Pronger and Niedermayer. Anaheim in 5, though Minnesota in 6 would not be a big surprise.

Detroit v. Calgary - Full disclosure: I find Dominik Hasek annoying and a bit of a bore. However, his talent is undeniable. I think Calgary is lucky to be in the post-season and won't stay for long. Detroit in 5.

Trivia factoid for the East - This is only the third time ever (1990, 1994) when all 3 New York metropolitan-area teams have made the postseason.

Ottawa v. Pittsburgh - This is the one series that the Canadian media will focus on with the relentless hype between Sid the Kid and Ottawa's history of being star-crossed in the playoffs. I actually like the way Ottawa will be looked at as the underdog in this series. I'm also not convinced that Marc-Andre Fluery is as good as his press. The less I say about Crosby, Malkin, and the rest of the Pens – the better for everyone. Ottawa in 6.

Atlanta v. NY Rangers - Probably of most interest to the Brave Astronaut himself, the Rangers have managed to cobble together over-the-hill veterans and a moody Czech superstar around a very talented young goaltender. The matchup of Bobby Holik against Jagr will be fascinating to watch - especially given Holik's previous history in NY. Honestly, I don't think Atlanta is ready to win in the playoffs, so I will surprise you - NYR in 6.

New Jersey v. Tampa - The only thing I will say about this series is that I will not watch a second of it. Since two weeks ago, I thought Tampa would not make the playoffs at all - I will use this for my sweep pick. New Jersey in 4.

And finally, Buffalo v. NY Isles. The thing is, Buffalo is the team that my team should most strive to emulate. They have built a great team, full of young talent that can skate like there is no tomorrow. Now, they do have serious shortcoming - mostly because they have some of the most whiny/dirty players (Briere) and coaches (Ruff) and fans in the league. But, it is hard to pick against talent. Buffalo in 5.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So we're whiny and dirty, but at least we can skate. Go Sabres!

I agree with most of your picks, but MN has to beat Anaheim. Hockey in most of CA (and anywhere in FL)is just blasphemous. Can we move the Ducks to Yosemite or Tahoe please?

Archivalist said...

Fwiw, here are mine:
NAS over SJ
VAN over DAL (Turco! Turco!)
MIN over ANA
DET over CGY
PIT over OTT
ATL over NYR
NJ over TB (I wish they could both lose)
BUF over NYI

Kim Ayres said...

Despite the fact that we both speak English, this post could be written in a foreign language to me. Hockey is something that's never featured in my life apart from a couple of games I went to when I was in Canada on a student exchange trip, 15 years ago.

As far as I could make out, you had 2 teams who moved around on skates and beat the shit out of each other, but if there wasn't a good opportunity to do that they would hit the puck instead.

Is that about right?

Archivalist said...

Yep, that's about it. And it's on ice too, which makes it eminently preferable to baseball or basketball, but only slightly better than football.