Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The 12 Posts of Christmas, vol. 12

And so we have arrived at Christmas Day. My son slept in until 8:00 (how many more years will we get that?!) and then we did stockings in bed, before going down to open presents in front of the tree. Each present was better than the next, with a pause to say "Open that" before being convinced to open the next present. And we haven't even opened his birthday presents yet. He turns three today.

My father called from my sister's house, where he is spending Christmas. He reported that he was up at 7:30. My sister's kids range in age from 16 to 21, so that was early for them, too. My brother will arrive there in a few hours. I wish I was there. My other sister is also at home and I will call there later. My mother would be happy that at least some of our family is together on this day. She loved Christmas very much and I miss her today.

I feel like I should have gone to church today, but the act that I should have gotten together is still sitting on the floor looking like unwrapped Christmas paper. My religious beliefs are such that I can talk to God without going to his "house," so I will have my own little moment at some point today.

Here's my Christmas message to all of you. Love your families, love your friends, love the season. Be good to one another and have a very special holiday however you choose to spend it. Here are two ways one can spend it, courtesy of today's Washington Post.

1. Light a Yule Log (but maybe not one this big)
2. Remember Christmases past. This is one of my favorite stories about Christmas. And with the country still in a war, it is a good time to remind people of the story.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas. Merry Birthdays.

Lana Gramlich said...

Hope y'all had a great one!