Friday, December 19, 2008

100 Skills That I Should Know

Tomorrow is my birthday and both of my sons will celebrate theirs in the next two weeks. I should get started on making sure they know all of these. Seen on Buzz Feed and kottke, from Popular Mechanics. There's a quiz there also. I've put in bold the ones in the list that I feel I have the skill.

Automotive
    1. Handle a blowout
    2. Drive in snow
    3. Check trouble codes - although my middle name is trouble . . .
    4. Replace fan belt
    5. Wax a car - "wax on, wax off"
    6. Conquer an off-road obstacle
    7. Use a stick welder
    8. Hitch up a trailer
    9. Jump start a car - so far, so good
Handling Emergencies
    10. Perform the Heimlich
    11. Reverse hypothermia - ooh, body heat!
    12. Perform hands-only CPR - is that the Bee Gees I hear?
    13. Escape a sinking car
Home
    14. Carve a turkey - something I learned from my father
    15. Use a sewing machine - if I have to
    16. Put out a fire - heh, heh, fire
    17. Home brew beer
    18. Remove bloodstains from fabric
    19. Move heavy stuff - remember lift with the knees, not with the back!
    20. Grow food
    21. Read an electric meter
    22. Shovel the right way - remember lift with the knees, not with the back!
    23. Solder wire
    24. Tape drywall
    25. Split firewood
    26. Replace a faucet washer - call the plumber, right?
    27. Mix concrete
    28. Paint a straight line - except while drinking
    29. Use a French knife - I'd have to know what a French knife is, but I'm not usually supposed to touch sharp things. Someday I'll tell you about the scar on my wrist.
    30. Prune bushes and small trees - well I can prune, but is it right?
    31. Iron a shirt - used to do it all the time, now I just put on a sweater over it.
    32. Fix a toilet tank flapper
    33. Change a single-pole switch
    34. Fell a tree
    35. Replace a broken windowpane
    36. Set up a ladder, safely
    37. Fix a faucet cartridge
    38. Sweat copper tubing
    39. Change a diaper - um, yeah
    40. Grill with charcoal - but I prefer the gas
    41. Sew a button on a shirt - sure, and most times it won't come off again
    42. Fold a flag - every day when I worked at the public library, we had to go out and get the flag and fold it
Medical Myths
    43. Treat frostbite
    44. Treat a burn
    45. Help a seizure victim
    46. Treat a snakebite - this of course, leads to this joke
    47. Remove a tick
Military Know-How
    48. Shine shoes
    49. Make a drum-tight bed
    50. Drop and give the perfect pushup
Outdoors
    51. Run rapids in a canoe
    52. Hang food in the wild
    53. Skipper a boat
    54. Shoot straight
    55. Tackle steep drops on a mountain bike
    56. Escape a rip current
Primitive Skills
    57. Build a fire in the wilderness
    58. Build a shelter
    59. Find potable water
Surviving Extremes
    60. Floods
    61. Tornadoes
    62. Cold
    63. Heat
    64. Lightning
Teach Your Kids
    65. Cast a line
    66. Lend a hand
    67. Change a tire
    68. Throw a spiral - Nelson Rockefeller, Jr. likes to tell a story about how his father told him the only way to throw a good spiral meant you had to take off your overcoat.
    69. Fly a stunt kite
    70. Drive a stick shift
    71. Parallel park
    72. Tie a bowline
    73. Tie a necktie
    74. Whittle
    75. Ride a bike
Technology
    76. Install a graphics card
    77. Take the perfect portrait
    78. Calibrate HDTV settings
    79. Shoot a home movie
    80. Ditch your hard drive
Master Key Workshop Tools - as mentioned earlier, I'm not allowed to use power tools unsupervised unless 911 is on speed dial
    81. Drill driver
    82. Grease gun
    83. Coolant hydrometer
    84. Socket wrench
    85. Test light
    86. Brick trowel
    87. Framing hammer
    88. Wood chisel
    89. Spade bit
    90. Circular saw
    91. Sledge hammer
    92. Hacksaw
    93. Torque wrench
    94. Air wrench
    95. Infrared thermometer
    96. Sand blaster
    97. Crosscut saw
    98. Hand plane
    99. Multimeter
    100. Feeler gauges

4 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

You mean you can't use a stick welder and solder? Soldering was my favorite activity in metal shop. Also, I can shoot straight. In more ways than one. I've also handled the toilet tank flapper and changed a single post switch. Don't you own a home? You never learned to cast a line? Didn't you grow up on an island?

I guess I'm ready to be a man.

Kim Ayres said...

I got about 26, but they include a few where I'd ahve to think about it for quite a while before attempting.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Charles said...

10, 12, and 16 are encouraging -- glad you're nextdoor. Happy birthday!

Brave Astronaut said...

Anna - So you're better than me. I'm OK with that. :)

Kim - Thanks for the wishes.

Charles - FINALLY, he comments! I'm happy to be able to provide what services are needed to my good neighbor.