Tuesday, December 9, 2008

An 80s Recipe

In keeping with last Friday's post on the Music of My Life, here's a post from another spot that highlights the "Top Ten Uniquely 80s Foods." And yes I am a day late with this. I'm still recovering from my trip to my fathers.

Here's the list:
  1. Capri Sun - the predecessor to the ubiquitous juice box
  2. Lean Cuisine - still around and still bad
  3. Tab - making a comeback
  4. Artificially Flavored Fruit Snacks - some things were better off not coming around.
  5. Equal - my parents were original Sweet and Low people, so the blue packet never gained ground at our house.
  6. Orange Julius - still a classic, though I was more of a Strawberry Julius kind of guy.
  7. Tri-Color pasta salad - easy and quick. And the recipe is below.
  8. Cool Ranch Doritos - One bad drinking experience and to this day, Doritos make me a little wobbly.
  9. The California Raisins - one of my son's favorite snacks
  10. Jawbreakers - with my teeth, I should have avoided these at all costs.
TRI-COLOR PASTA SALAD
  • 4 1/2 lbs. noodles, cooked & cooled
  • 3 c. mayonnaise, thinned with olive oil
  • 1 1/2 c. pitted black olives, sliced crosswise
  • 1 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes
  • 3/4 c. fresh herbs (parsley, marjoram, basil)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Toss pasta with ingredients. Season and serve.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, BA. What exactly are you taking about in 8, with your "nad drinking experience?" Sounds a little sketchy to me . . .

You are right on with the Strawberry Julius. It went perfectly with cruising the mall.

Brave Astronaut said...

Wow that could be misunderstood . . . corrected.

Eryl Shields said...

Luckily I was too old for Jawbreakers even in the 80s so my jaw is still intact.

Lana Gramlich said...

Gads, I'm sorry I missed the typo, but I still got to laugh at it in retrospect! What a great world. :)
I bet strawberry julius was awesome. Unfortunately I wasn't a big "strawberry" person back then. I LOVED me a nice, pineapple julius, though! On occassion I make an alcoholic invention I call the "pineapple julius." It's a screwdriver, basically, but you use vanilla flavored vodka & pineapple juice. Serve on ice & don't knock it 'til you try it!

Archivalist said...

What? No Steak-Umms?

Unknown said...

OK, now you have me craving a Peach Julius (my fave), which I haven't had since I left Iowa in 1992! Grrrr....

Brave Astronaut said...

Terry - Loved your list!

Eryl - some things were better left in the 80s

Lana - man, a grown-up Pineapple Julius. Have to put that in the drinking rotation.

AT - Do they even qualify as "food?"

C - Orange Julius, available in most Dairy Queen locations. There's one in Bowie.

Anonymous said...

Tab - definitely a 70s thing - though still around in the 80s until Diet Coke knocked it off the market