Monday, July 13, 2009

A Weekend in New York

The Brave Astronaut family has returned from a weekend visit to Lawn Guyland today, where we celebrated my father's 80th birthday, with a party thrown by his new girlfriend. Mrs. BA and I took the opportunity to fill up on Long Island staples - pizza and bagels.

I have a colleague at work who has threatened to hold a blind taste test to see if I can tell the difference between Long Island bagels and bagels from anywhere else (outside the New York area). I have told him to bring it on. For the most part, bagels outside the NYC region are basically "rolls with holes." Ask any bagel maker, they'll tell you - it's the water. In fact, there is allegedly a bagel shop in Texas somewhere that has NYC water flown in so he can make "authentic" NYC bagels.

Now I just need to make sure if we made enough space in the freezer for the bagels we brought back. Some time ago I spotted an entry on Buzz Feed about the flagel. I never got into the flagel phenomenon, but I do enjoy the bagel crisp. And there is nothing like a bagel with butter. Yeah, yeah, I know. But I don't like the cream cheese. And of course, when one visits Bagel Boss, you can go any time you want (as long as it's not Passover - the only time of the year they close.) And don't ask for bacon with that egg on a bagel - they're Kosher.

3 comments:

stinkypaw said...

We also have very good bagels in Montreal (lots of Jewish people as well...) and every time I've had bagels in the States, they weren't up to ours... like you said "rolls with holes" - knowing they would get to you in good condition (not green) I'd send you some!

Catharine said...

You are KILLING me. I'm starving and would give anything for a bagel boss bagel right now. Butter...cream cheese...plain - I'll take it. Enjoy your bounty. Next time I'll pay you to pick up a dozen (and Raimo's pizza) for me. :)

Brave Astronaut said...

Paw - We only eat green ones here on St. Patrick's Day.

Cat - Let's make a date! It's been too long! I won't tell you that we had Mario's on our way out of town, too. But there's bagels in the freezer! Come on over.