Saturday, January 16, 2010

I Aint Afraid of No Ghost.

It's another lazy Saturday here at the Brave Astronaut launchpad. Mrs. BA went off this morning to do some work at the Library of Congress, leaving me to look after LBA and SoBA. I am still attempting to shake something off (perhaps its a reaction to my H1N1 vaccine or just the fact that I haven't slept well in about three days) but I soldiered on. The weather was somewhat cooperative and the gang headed out into the backyard to play. Just about every ball in the inventory was thrown out into the backyard by SoBA (footballs, baseballs, soccer balls, all of them). We were soon joined by the neighbor children (AKA the "Hooligans"). The soccer ball saw some use as did the baseball and bat. I nearly took a line drive off my head, hit by LBA. How long till Pitchers and Catchers report?

We came inside to have some lunch and unfortunately only SoBA got to have naptime (though I could have so closed my eyes for a bit). LBA and I adjourned to the TV room to follow our normal SoBA naptime ritual - the movie. Last night's movie night featured "Dorothy" AKA The Wizard of Oz, and today, LBA requested Ghostbusters. Because "I'm five now and big boys like scary movies - so I won't be scared."

We've watched Ghostbusters before (it's also a favorite of J in PA and Special K, when they have come to visit). Evidently we are not alone in loving Ghostbusters. The film, which just turned 25, is being pushed as better than Star Wars and its ilk. I don't know if I would go that far, but that's what this article by a British journalist maintains in the Times Online (seen first on kottke, last June). In September, kottke also raised the question that perhaps 1984 was by far one of the greatest years ever for film.

Kottke includes a partial list (just look):
  • Beverly Hills Cop
  • Ghostbusters
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • Footloose
  • Purple Rain
  • Revenge of the Nerds
  • Red Dawn
  • The Terminator
  • Sixteen Candles
  • This Is Spinal Tap

3 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

1982 also gave us many brilliant movies; Blade Runner, The Thing, E.T., 48 HRS, First Blood, Ghandi, Tron, Star Trek II; Wrath of Khan, Poltergeist, Pink Floyd; The Wall, Tootsie, The Secret of NIMH, The Verdict, Deathtrap.
Then again, 1981 also gave us a lot to watch; Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Road Warrior, History of the World Pt. I, Excalibur, Time Bandits, An American Werewolf in London, Arthur, Taps, On Golden Pond, Ghost Story (although the book was better, of course) and the timeless classic, Canonball Run. *L*

I'll say this, evidently the '80s WERE "the" years for decent flicks. Why else would they be remaking or reprising so many of them now? (Tron, Fame, Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...Depressing to see that one, actually.)

Get some sleep as soon as you can. It's almost as vital as breathing. We just don't tend to treat it as such.

Purple Pigeon said...

Ghostbusters is legendary! It was the soundtrack to my entire childhood! Personally, I think Ghostbusters 2 is better, and sad to say, I actually own the soundtrack to that on CD. Run DMC doing the ghostbusters theme - fabulous!

Brave Astronaut said...

Lana - it was truly a great decade to grow up in.

Pigeon - Ghostbusters2 is good as well, I agree. And even a little less scary for the kids.