Thursday, January 7, 2010

So here we are - 2010

It's a new year. 2010. A new decade . . . although Mrs. BA debates that point, but that's a different story. Looking back over my recent posts, I see that I have somewhat neglected Order from Chaos. I have several draft posts which need a little more fleshing out and several Monday recipes ready to go so there has been some content out there. Would you all miss me if I stopped blogging? This would be the point where you go and leave a comment and say yes. Placate me.

I am going to try and be better about my time management this year. My day is fairly well structured in its unstructuredness. The Brave Astronaut clan starts its day with Mrs. BA in the shower and me getting breakfast for LBA and SoBA. On many mornings - and I/we had a conversation with LBA just last night about this - instead of "good morning" from LBA when he pitter-pats into our room in the morning, we often get, "Can I watch a show?" Perhaps LBA's New Years Resolution will be less TV, he just doesn't know it yet. Some mornings we also get a request for "I want Mommy to give me breakfast," meaning I'm in the shower first. But however it shakes out, we all try to be out of the house by 8:00. That's the goal. (Yesterday our day started much earlier, but I'd rather not relive that anytime soon.) Of course, if we are running late and I help Mrs. BA and the boys get on their way and I haven't showered yet, I often fall victim to "The West Wing," which is on Bravo each morning. Though I can time it that I can get my shower done during one of the interminable commercial breaks.

Once at work, I have more than enough to keep me busy. My goal this year is to be more productive and so far I am doing pretty well in that regard. My To Do List is rather lengthy, but I'm working the problems. I would like to say that I plan to build a lunchtime visit to the Fitness Center back into my work day, but for now, that is not in the cards.

The evenings involve getting dinner together for the family, as I am the one who is home first. On some occasions, I can manage to get dinner for the boys together and Mrs. BA and I will forage later after they are in bed. That would be another New Years Resolution, plan and execute more family dinners. It's one of my most favorite times of the day. I like us all sitting around together. LBA is at the age where he has a lot to say and much of it is amusing and I like talking with him about his day. SoBA is close to talking and he has many words and expressions to convey what it is he needs or wants.

Next, the boys get baths (most nights) and then it's off to bed. I often get SoBA, who is the easier of the two to get to bed (it's getting him to stay there all night, but that's a different story), which involves a story or two, perhaps part of a show on TV, and then he willingly goes off to bed. While still in a crib, the big boy bed is coming, I think, this summer. LBA gets a few stories, after a show, and then goes to bed. By this time it is close to 9:00 and there is still a lot to accomplish, let alone things that I (or Mrs. BA) would like to do.

The siren call of the computers often get the best of us and we are often working (or playing on Facebook - in my case) on our laptops, while watching something on TV. However, there are a number of archival projects that I would like to accomplish this year. I have started working on the family archives of late and next up will be a rather extensive project to gain intellectual control of the Brave Astronaut photo collection. Anybody have a scanner I can borrow?

There are of course any number of things that could be accomplished around the house. We have been there a little over two years now and I guess it's time to start dealing with some routine maintenance. I'd like to do a little painting and I would really love a new shed. Spring cleaning may get interesting at the launchpad.

None of the above are excuses for my neglecting the blog. But it is a bit of a declaration as to why I might not be here as much as I would like over the next few months. But don't worry, I won't be far. And there's always recipe Mondays so you know I'm still around. I have a post (still in my head as of today) that I will put out this weekend as Christmas comes to an end at the Brave Astronaut launchpad (watch for the Loot List!) and a number of draft posts, which I mentioned earlier, which I hope to get ready to roll out soon. And then there's all those starred items in my Google Reader . . . why is it that I can't be afflicted with insomnia again?

The Brave Astronaut Christmas / Holiday cards went out late this year. If you were not a recipient of the "official" card this year, please accept my sincere wishes to you and yours that you had a great holiday and that 2010 holds for you nothing but health and happiness.

7 comments:

Special K. said...

I would miss it if you stopped. Even if I don't comment that often, I enjoy reading it. Pretty please, try to work it into your schedule. (And, ahem, going to the fitness center too!)

Lana Gramlich said...

Of course I'd miss you if you stopped blogging! On the other hand, I totally get where you're coming from. It seems like just about all bloggers have to back off from time to time. We all have real lives, after all!
I love the idea of the family archives. In a different vein, I've started a bit of a "field guide to the Hermitage" (our home,) listing all kinds of animals, plants, etc.
I just got your card & letter today, actually. Ironically, just last night I was wondering why you hadn't sent one for 2009--you're so good about such things (& I'm just so not. *LOL*)

Lana Gramlich said...

I forgot to mention, but I started a "business" FB page, if it makes keeping in touch easier for you. ;)

Unknown said...

In the two minutes of downtime I have today, I'm reading your blog (since StitchBitch is still in England and I needed something distracting). So, no, don't stop blogging.

I think Facebook and Twitter are going to be the death of most hobby-bloggers list us. It's a question of where one spends one's time. Even ADR rarely blogs these days.

Finally, you can borrow our scanner any time, although it's also our printer and kind of huge. But, I think I still have the previous scanner (which I last used about a month ago with our old computer). If I can find it, it's yours. The "old" one is fairly compact and easy to transport. You'll need to download the software if you can find it, though.

Anna van Schurman said...

Don't stop. How else will I find out what's up with you--I'm never on facebook. And Mrs. BA never writes.

Anonymous said...

You must keep at it. Must. Keep. At. It. Forever.

Brave Astronaut said...

Fine, I'll keep at it. But you all have to keep coming by and reading.