Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snopocalypse / Snomageddon / Snoverkill

Has anyone noticed there's a little snow outside . . . still? The Brave Astronaut launchpad was the site of an impromptu playdate yesterday - I had managed to make it to the store on Monday to lay in some additional supplies for the next round of winter weather. So we had about sixteen people in the house, fairly evenly split between kids and adults. Mrs. BA had made white chicken chili on Sunday and I made brownies. Tonight on the menu is a hearty beef stew to combat the blowing and drifting snow outside.

In the middle of all this snow, when I first saw this, I really thought it was an Onion headline. But no. From the Hill Newspaper:
Sen. Jim DeMint twitters: D.C. snow will continue "until Al Gore cries uncle"

So here we are. Those of us who work for the federal government are enjoying our third snow day in a row. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that I don't think we are working tomorrow either. My main contention has always been that if Metro is not running (or only running underground), the federal government really cannot open. Public schools around the area have already thrown in the towel, closing for the rest of the week. And Monday is President's Day holiday, though many have announced that students will go to class that day to make up the abundance of snow days that have been needed this season.

I'm beginning to feel a bit feral - it's getting to be a lot like Little House on the Prairie (the Blizzard episode, of course). And I've been out of the house. The children may turn on us, especially if we lose the media options.

2 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Sen. Jim DeMint is merely revealing his complete ignorance on the subject, unfortunately. Sad to think he's in a position of power, actually...
Enjoy the break while you can. It's sleeting here this morning w/sn*w forecast for tonight & tomorrow. Charles' mom recently had a stroke, so we're having to go to NW Arkansas over our long weekend (where there's already sn*w & more on the way.) I'm glad I kept my winter hat from Canada, but I'm grossly unprepared in too many other ways. Snow tires, for example. <:\

Brave Astronaut said...

Lana - I am one of those crazy people that loves the snow, the more the better. But even I might have reached my limit for this season.