Monday, March 1, 2010

The Best Meatloaf Ever?

Meatloaf for me is a reminder of my youth. As I have said before, my mother's meatloaf was a very easy concoction of meat, bread crumbs, ketchup, some onion mashed all together and then a few bacon slices on top. It's always better as sandwiches the next day - cold, on white bread, with mayonnaise. Stop that - it's really good.

I've made my mother's meatloaf before and the kids seem to enjoy it. Here's a recipe that I found recently, which might need to make an appearance (from the Amateur Gourmet).

Damon’s Favorite Meatloaf
by Chef Damon Wise
serves 6
  • 1 ¾ lbs ground beef
  • ¾ lbs ground pork
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ cup dark soffrito [Note: cook red onions, carrots and celery in lots of olive oil on low heat until it's all a deep, golden brown: 45 minutes to 1 hour. Whatever you don't use, you can keep in olive oil and use in soups, dressings, sandwiches, etc.]
  • ½ cup toasted bread crumbs, soaked in milk
  • 1 ½ shiitake mushrooms, sautéed
  • 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
  • 2 t soy sauce or tamari
  • 2 T dry mustard
  • 2 t fresh oregano, chopped
  • 2 large eggs
GLAZE
  • 2 cup ketchup
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • 2 T Dijon mustard
  • 2 T honey
  • 2 T smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp cayenne
350° for 45 minutes ( 160° internally )

3 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Meatloaf's a reminder of childhood for me, too. Mainly because I never ate it again. Not being a bit onion or pepper person, it's not high on my "to do" list.

pilgrimchick said...

Meatloaf--that is something I have never attempted to make for myself (and I'm kind of surprised by that). This sounds like a great recipe--maybe I'll give it a try.

Brave Astronaut said...

Lana - it's worth a try.

Pilgrim - it's not the first thing we think to make, but it's easy.

119 - thanks for stopping by.