Monday, June 14, 2010

It's Flag Day!

Here at the Brave Astronaut launchpad, Memorial Day is in the rear view mirror and today is Flag Day - so summer must be in full swing. We have been poolside as much as possible as the Washington heat is really starting to be in full swing.

I am rapidly coming to the realization that I am overextended (that I might, might, be doing too many things), I have a blog post (likely several posts) in my head that will illustrate this point, as well as several items in my Google Reader that I want to share with you, my dear readers. I have been absent from here, so all you have been getting are recipes that are easy to write and stock the blog with.

But anyway, I'm still here and hope that you are as well. I will try to be better, yes, I know, I've said this before, but I really mean it. Don't leave me. Don't make me beg :)

As mentioned, today is Flag Day. It is my mother-in-law's birthday so happy birthday to her. It would have also been my parents 58th wedding anniversary, so I am thinking of my mother today - as I do every day.

The recipe for tonight is pointedly for those fine ChvChicks, who featured a number of cocktails on the run-up to ChvProm a few weeks ago and just wrapped up a ChvChick weekend in the Big Easy. But I am sure they won't mind if you make a batch for yourself. It is, of course, a cocktail that uses champagne and comes from the June 2010 issue of Bon Appetit.

Raspberry Smash
makes 2
[smashing (called muddling in the bartending biz) the raspberries with the vodka, sugar, and lime wedges brings out the berry flavor.]
  • 2 lime wedges
  • sugar (for dipping)
  • 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
  • 6 tbsp. vodka
  • 4 tsp. sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups ice cubes
  • 1/4 cup chilled Champagne
Run 1 lime wedge around rims of 2 old fashioned glasses. Dip rims in sugar. Place both lime wedges, raspberries, vodka, and sugar in cocktail shaker; using muddler or wooden spoon handle, smash fruit mixture. Add ice, shake 10 seconds. Divide between glasses (do not strain), top with Champagne, and serve.

[the recipe that appeared in the magazine is adapted from a recipe that is featured at Bella Vista, a restaurant at the Four Seasons Resort in Santa Barbara, CA.]

4 comments:

pilgrimchick said...

Sounds like a great cocktail--we haven't had good enough weather to be poolside for the last week. Here's hoping we in New England won't be robbed of yet another summer (last year was a real bust).

Jeanne said...

SHAME ON YOU - BESIDE OUR PARENTS ANNIVERSARY IT IS THE DATE THE NY RANGERS WON THE STANLEY CUP AFTER 54 YEARS

Lana Gramlich said...

That drink sounds lovely! I'm sure you're overextended, but I'm still around. I'm just not a big recipe person. ;)
As for the heat--don't even talk to me. We're getting to the point where running the A/C full blast 24-7 isn't keeping the house cool. I haven't been outside (except to go to work & back,) in forever & unfortunately "poolside" is still little more than being boiled alive. But hey, at least it's not sn*w! :D
The new template looks very nice, btw.

Brave Astronaut said...

Chick - so far our summer is off to a hot start

Jeanne - yes there was that, too.

Lana - I certainly prefer more moderate temps as well. They're easier to dress for. You can only take off so much as it gets hotter.