Sunday, August 15, 2010

Forget Spring Cleaning - It's Almost Fall

I really want to be better about doing stuff around the house, really. Unfortunately, there is a lot of "out of sight, out of mind" going around at the Brave Astronaut launchpad. There is a tendency by Mrs. BA (and to a point me) that if you stick something somewhere and close the door/drawer/box, you will forget about it.

That needs to change. As I think I have said before, I have become the custodian of the Brave Astronaut family archives. There are projects that I need to get to as my father has been after me to get him some things that belonged to my mother. There have been some sentimental struggles over this, but I really need to deal with some of this stuff, soon. Most of this stuff is in the "vault," with the rest of the archival materials - also known as the alcove under the stairs.

I recently went after my desk, which sits in the living room. It became a surface upon which to pile things after the computer died and I got my laptop. That only meant there was more room to cover up with crap. A lot of the stuff then got stuffed in the drawers, so I went after them and cleaned things out. I need to begin a systematic purging of stuff that has gotten stuffed into drawers, boxes, cubbies, etc. to determine their value and retention. There might be a virtual yard sale coming up on Craig's List soon.

In order to get more organized, I might need one of these. I could put it in the boy's room, but they wouldn't get it. I certainly need to make more lists to chart my progress, so maybe I should get a stack of these, do you think they come in left-handed style?

3 comments:

PhillyGirl said...

The pac-man shelves are awesome...You have a desk, I have a complete loft. One hug vast space of flat--out of sight, that has just become piles of papers on the floor since like March...I've been waiting for "time" to deal with them, but the fact is, after spending my days with papers and computers at work, I don't want to be an archivist anymore at home... Maybe we should race to see who cleans up first...

Lana Gramlich said...

Funny how things that were as HUGE as Pac Man flitter so easily into obscurity. The slant-ruled notebook was cool!
I'm really good at organizing, myself. At times I've applied my creativity to the projects, creating painted or papered boxes out of recyclables for storage, etc. Turning it into an art project makes it MUCH more fun!

Brave Astronaut said...

Philly - what are the stakes for the race?

Lana - full circle cleaning/recycling - that's so green of you!