Monday, January 10, 2011

Sunday Dinner - Monday Recipe

Last night, the Brave Astronaut family sat down to a nice Sunday dinner. Given how cold it was outside (I had even built a fire in the fire place earlier) - it was nice to have a good "stick to your ribs" kind of meal. Chili or stew would have worked, but we went with a nice roast beef with roasted potatoes.

While this is not a "full-on" recipe, it does the job if you want to follow it. As I have noted before, I am more of an "adventurous" cook - flying without a net, so to speak.

Roast Beef and Roasted Potatoes
(I used a nice tied top round - purchased at the lovely, new Wegmans!)

Preheat the oven to 45o degrees. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Place in roasting pan on a rack that raises it slightly off the bottom of the pan. Roast at the high heat for 15 minutes. While the roast is cooking, cube some potatoes (I used both russet and gold) and toss with some olive oil and spices (I used salt, pepper, some rosemary, thyme, and a splash of sage). I also cubed an onion and threw in some cloves of garlic.

After 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. Place the potatoes in the roasting pan around the meat and return to the oven. Occasionally, stir the potatoes and, if you like, pour a tiny amount of red wine on the meat, but not too much to "drown" the potatoes.

The potatoes will need about an hour to cook and the roast can be taken out to rest when the internal temperature is between 120 and 130 degrees (for rare). Let the roast rest for about 10-15 minutes before carving.

I used the rest time to turn the broiler on for the potatoes to crisp them up a little. Watch them carefully so they don't burn.

I also whipped up a quick red wine gravy to serve with the meat.
  • some red wine
  • some water
  • I used a concentrated packet of chicken broth (use beef if you have it)
  • some "brown gravy flavoring" (my mother used to use something called "gravy master" and there is also bovril)
  • some corn starch to thicken
Whisk all ingredients together and bring to a simmer. Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

kinds of cats said...

I really like the recipe,,,emmm mmm,,i really want to try it,,,my mouth got full of water,,its really gona be delicious.