Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Abe

Today is Abraham Lincoln's birthday. Unfortunately, he, George Washington (February 22), and all of the Presidents, got screwed out of their own individual days when the vague "President's Day" Holiday was established on the third Monday in February.

As you, my faithful readers know, I am a volunteer usher at Ford's Theatre in Washington, which holds its own special place in Lincoln history. A while back, a website I read, We Love DC, dedicated one of its recurring posts, DC Mythbusting, to a Lincoln Edition. It talked about there was allegedly a depiction of Robert E. Lee in the hair of Lincoln in the Lincoln Memorial (not true) and other Memorial Factoids.

The post also explained why there is a portrait of George Washington outside the presidential box at Fords. Do you know? It is one of the most frequent questions I get of theater-goers when I usher.

Happy Birthday Mr. President. For those who are socially motivated, I recommend that you follow @Mr_Lincoln on Twitter and you can "like" HonestAbrahamLincoln" on Facebook.

2 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

I didn't know any of those things...Interesting!

Brave Astronaut said...

Lana - hey I do what I can. Providing information, that's what I do.