Friday, October 28, 2011

Six Books that Screwed Us All Up

As has been previously discussed here, I used to work in a library. And now, for all many of you can tell the difference, I am a librarian.

Here's a list of six books that is offered (with some comment) for discussion. The article suggests these books "accidentally screwed the world."

#6 - Jaws, Peter Benchley. Hey I grew up on Long Island. When this book came out - the ocean was a lonely place with the number of people who stayed huddled on the shore.

#5 - Coma, Robin Cook. Like number 6, I think the movie was more scary. Unless you were reading the book alone, in a hospital.

#4 - On the Naturalization of Useful Animals, by Isidore Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire. Rabbits in Australia? You don't know the story? This book will tell you and you will never bring an animal anywhere again. You might never go anywhere ever again.

#3 - The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie. I think this book screwed Rushdie more than anyone else, but then again, I'm pretty sure his bank account didn't get screwed.

#2 - The Dick and Jane series, by William S. Gray and Zerna Sharp. And let's not forget about Spot!

#1 - The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care, by Dr. Benjamin Spock. Mrs. BA and I have a copy of this on the bookshelf somewhere. Hey, everybody makes mistakes now and then, right? So he was wrong on a few things in the beginning. We all turned out OK.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would argue that the Dr. Sears baby books are right up there with the Spock one, although I've not read the Spock one. Intentionally or not, Sears is a key player in the mommy wars.

Brave Astronaut said...

Well everyone has to have something . . .