Monday, May 26, 2014

Onion Straws

I thought I had posted this already - but it might just be because I dream about them a lot.  Stitch Bitch turned me on to them a while back (I prefer my onion rings thin and crispy, rather than thick and chewy).  I've not looked back.  They appear as a side a lot, with sausage sandwiches, burgers, etc.  It means there is usually buttermilk in the house, now.  But I still don't have a deep fryer, yet.

Onion Strings
from the Pioneer Woman

Ingredients
  • 1 whole Large Onion 
  • 2 cups Buttermilk 
  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour 
  • 1 Tablespoon (scant) Salt 
  • 1/4 teaspoon (to 1/2 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper 
  • 1 quart (to 2 Quarts) Canola Oil 
  • Black Pepper To Taste

Preparation Instructions
Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk and soak for at least an hour.

Combine dry ingredients and set aside.

Heat oil to 375 degrees. Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.

Repeat until onions are gone.

Eat before your family sees them.

Repeat with another onion, because they’ll be really mad they didn’t get any.

No comments: