Monday, August 6, 2007

Recipes from a box in a Jiffy

I grew up with cake mix out of a box. My wife did not. When she bakes, she likes to do it from scratch. When I met her she would diligently make scratch brownies. Then we discovered these and we compromised that some box mixes are OK. Recently, I read with interest an article in the Food section of the Washington Post about Jiffy Mix.

Skeptical, I read on and found that another convert had been born. She spirited several boxes of the mix into her home and began to whip up muffins, cakes, pancakes, waffles, all sorts of starchy goodness. I am a fan of the corn muffin so here is the corn muffin mix recipe. But I urge all of you to feel free to make muffins and have me sample them. I am a big fan of the sweet bread breakfast food item.

CREAMY CORN MUFFINS
(Yield: 18 large muffins)
  • 2 pkgs. "JIFFY" Corn Muffin Mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 can (12 oz.) cream style corn
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 375°. Grease one large muffin pan well, or use paper liners.

  2. Mix all ingredients together, blending well.

  3. Pour into prepared muffin pan, filling about 1/2 full.

  4. Bake for 22-28 minutes.

  5. Let cool before removing from pan.

4 comments:

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Yes, I've made these many times! So dee-lish with a little chopped jalapeno baked in, too. But that's me. (Shoot me now, I sound like Rachel Ray)

Anna van Schurman said...

We've been using Jiffy mix since they designed that packaging.

My dad would make the corn muffins and put a teaspoon (real tea spoon, not the measuring device) of jam or jelly onto the batter (after you put it in the muffin tin). It's too hot when you take them out of the oven, but a delicious flavor of my youth!

Your wife doesn't know mixes are superior because of the scientific accuracy with which they are created? I'm surprised...maybe not, I know how she passed science in college....

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of boxes currently in my pantry.

I have fond memories of whipping up Jiffy cakes with my grandmother. We almost always baked together when I went to her house as a young kid. Jiffy mixes were perfect for a 4 year old, plus they only made half of what the other box mixes made. I wish the cake mixes were still as readily available as the corn muffin mix.

This was before we became a primarily General Mills and Betty Crocker household.

Spellbound said...

I'm also of your wife's persuation on baked goods, but I admit that when my children were young I did occasionally make this same recipe. Now that they are grown and gone and I've given up carbs altogether, I never use mix anything. Nutmeg is also my secret ingredient to add to spinach, brussel sprouts, and lasagna. No one can ever figure out what it is, but they wolf it down.