Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Record for the Ages - Part III

So it's done. I couldn't help watching. For a while, I thought my watching was preventing it from happening, but then 755 happened. A man can dream that Juiceman will come to his senses and perhaps walk away tied. So, on a cool night in San Francisco, off a Washington Nationals pitcher, Barry Bonds finds himself in sole possession of one of the greatest baseball records ever, most career homeruns. And, by the way, how about that rookie John Lannan?!

I have stayed up late the past week to watch the games from the West Coast. It's sort of like a train wreck, I just can't look away. Perhaps my love of disaster flicks is moving me, for Bonds is a true disaster to the game of baseball. I watched the ceremonies unfold on the field and the jumbotron message from Hank Aaron. Willie Mays was there, as he is Barry Bond's Godfather. I will even give you that what Barry said sounded almost sincere.

I don't like that he now holds the record. I will point out that on the same day that Bonds hit 755, a very young former shortstop, now third baseman for the New York Yankees, became the youngest player to reach 500 home runs. God willing, Bonds will become a footnote in a few years and A-Rod will assume the mantle of most home runs ever.

This has been a banner year for records in major league baseball. Tom Galvine's 300th, now Bonds, A-Rod's 500, Frank Thomas hitting his 500th earlier this year. There will be other records to fall and someday, someone will eclipse them and we will once again pause and celebrate. For now, I'll give Bonds his moment. Now, I'm going to bed.

3 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

I don't think you gave Bonds his moment at all. But, whatever...

Anonymous said...

First, it's 756. Hank hit 755.

I too have watched the past two nights, waiting for the inevitable to happen. I'm glad the Nats won last night. I'm also very glad that the Nats won't go into the history books with Barry as "the worst team in baseball in 2007". Whew!

I really wanted a delay of game penalty against the Giants last night. The hoopla was a little too much. The only part I liked was Hank's statement. At least Barry was gracious afterwards. (As an archivist, it causes me to wonder how knowing that you're headed for the record books affects the historical event itself.)

The question remains, will Barry be inducted in Cooperstown when his time comes?

Archivalist said...

Bonds will be in Cooperstown. Ditto McGwire. Heck, some will even vote for Palmiero, too.