Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Roosevelt of Sagamore

Today in History: On this day in 1902, Theodore Roosevelt became the first U.S. President to ride in an automobile.

I grew up on Long Island, not far from Sagamore Hill, home of Theodore Roosevelt. While pursuing my Masters in Social Studies Education, I was tasked to write a paper that conveyed a "sense of history." Having been to Sagamore Hill numerous times on the "tourist loop," I chose to write a paper on the house and its famous resident. The comments I received back from my professor were, "Imaginative! You really know TR & Sagamore!"

The paper is long (six pages). If you are really, really interested in a "behind the scenes tour" of Sagamore Hill, given by the 26th President of the United States, you can read it here.

No comments: