Thursday, November 6, 2008

MARAC - Thursday

Today is the first day of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC) Fall 2008 Meeting, being held here in Silver Spring, MD. It is the first meeting in several years that I am not attending the Steering Committee Meeting, which is held on Thursday evenings. To celebrate my freedom, I am taking a small group to the Washington Capitals hockey game at the Verizon Center. It is sure to be a good time.

Tomorrow the meeting will start up with session, several of which I helped to organize. I also don't have to be at lunch, so I will be able to partake of the great restaurants in the Silver Spring area. I will be sure to post some more about the meeting tomorrow.

Here are a few things that have been sitting in my Google Reader for some time and this is as good a time as any to share - they are somewhat archivally related. The first comes from our brethren at the American Library Association, a virtual slide-rule to help figure out whether an item is still protected by copyright. As my friend ADR pointed out when he posted about it, it's a very nifty Web 2.0 application.

The second item also comes from a fellow archives blogger. Spellbound posted about Dipity Timelines, which I now seem to see everywhere. Spellbound also posted about the slide-rule, but I saw it from ADR first.

The last item comes from Buzz Feed and it is about Wordle. Wordle creates word clouds from the content of a webpage and then shows you the words based on the frequency. Another great Web 2.0 toy. So enjoy the links and hey, Lets Go Caps!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Similar to Dipity, Lifesnapz provides archiving, timelines and mapping capability.

http://www.lifesnapz.com