Monday, November 10, 2008

Recipe: My Deviled Eggs

This post that I saw on kottke, prompted me to write this recipe post on my deviled eggs. My deviled eggs were featured on Special K's blog, when the eggs made an appearance for a baby shower that Mrs. BA and I hosted for Mr. and Mrs. C in DC. My deviled eggs are a popular item at picnics and parties.

While it is kind of hard to screw up hard boiling eggs, the recipe that I prefer the most comes from the "Very Best Recipe" cookbook.

Place the eggs in a saucepan with just enough cold water to cover the eggs. Bring the eggs to a boil and remove from the flame and cover for ten minutes. Remove the eggs from the water and place them in an ice bath. The eggs will shell easier this way. Older eggs work best.

After you boil the eggs, shell them and then cut the eggs lengthwise. Place the yolks in a bowl and arrange the whites. Add some mustard and mayonnaise to the yolks and mix to a creamy consistency. If you want to be fancy, pipe the yolk mixture into the whites, if not, a spoon will do the trick. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.

One way to enjoy deviled eggs is to eat them at a party as an hors d'ouvre. And in the why didn't I think of it first category, here is something that will come in handy at every party where you have to eat standing up and hold your drink at the same time. Fingerfood. Brilliant.

4 comments:

stinkypaw said...

fingerfood, always a favorite! Especially when it's not too formal and one can lick their fingers! ;-)

Unknown said...

I can never seem to get hard boiled eggs boiled all the way. I've tried both the hot and cold methods. I think that may be why I'm one of two people (NJM) on the planet who doesn't like deviled eggs.

Anonymous said...

Add me as a third who's not a fan of deviled eggs. I don't really care for fully-cooked yolks - taste or texture.

And as far as hard-boiling eggs being "kind of hard to screw up," I seem to recall having great difficulty peeling the very eggs that later would be pictured (above) with the Brave Astronaut as he was adding the paprika (spice of my people). Hard, yes. Impossible, no. But then, what do I know about hard-boiling eggs?

Brave Astronaut said...

Paw - You're dirty :)

C - it's ok, more for the rest of us. Hurry up and come back, we're waiting for you for the ginger bread bake-off bracket!

J - that would be the secret of the old eggs - they peel better.