Friday, December 5, 2008

The Music of My Life (at least High School)

I'm on my way to NY for the weekend to pack up my father's belongings as he prepares to move in with his girlfriend. So here's a list to make you remember days gone by. Me, I'm just scarred from the whole experience . . .

Borrowed from the Curious Child's Library Wanderings . . .
Instructions:
  1. Go to Music Outfitters and type in the year you graduated from high school (or first year, if still in high school) into the search function.
  2. Retrieve the top 100 songs from that year.
  3. Strike through the songs you hate(d), italicize the songs you like(d), bold the songs you love(d) and leave alone the ones you either don’t remember or don’t care about.
  4. Annotate at will.
The Year was 1985. Here's the list. An (i) indicates the song may be currently found on my iPod:
  1. Careless Whisper, Wham!
  2. Like A Virgin, Madonna
  3. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Wham!
  4. I Want To Know What Love Is, Foreigner
  5. I Feel For You, Chaka Khan
  6. Out Of Touch, Daryl Hall and John Oates - I have a friend who reads this blog and is sure to have a comment on Hall and Oates - Skate Factory, Lana, little "Private Eyes"?
  7. Everybody Wants To Rule The World, Tears For Fears
  8. Money For Nothing, Dire Straits - The video is stuck in my mind, those cartoon characters
  9. Crazy For You, Madonna
  10. Take On Me, A-Ha - C'mon who doesn't like this song, it's catchy and the new, literal version is hysterical
  11. Everytime You Go Away, Paul Young
  12. Easy Lover, Phil Collins and Philip Bailey
  13. Can't Fight This Feeling, REO Speedwagon - I have a friend that I wrote out the lyrics to this song for her one day - it was along the lines of a profession of love (i)
  14. We Built This City, Starship - I have seen references to this being the worst song every put out. But it's a little catchy
  15. The Power Of Love, Huey Lewis and The News - Back to the Future anyone? (i)
  16. Don't You (Forget About Me), Simple Minds - Only because of the Breakfast Club.
  17. Cherish, Kool and The Gang
  18. St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion), John Parr - I saw this movie long after putting Demi Moore on my list. If you have to ask, you didn't see this movie or remember the scene.
  19. The Heat Is On, Glenn Frey
  20. We Are The World, U.S.A. For Africa - I had the 45 and used to "identify" the singers as they began to sing. I could also do some imitations of them. Stop Laughing.
  21. Shout, Tears For Fears - Shout, Let it Out.
  22. Part-Time Lover, Stevie Wonder
  23. Saving All My Love For You, Whitney Houston
  24. Heaven, Bryan Adams
  25. Everything She Wants, Wham!
  26. Cool It Now, New Edition
  27. Miami Vice Theme, Jan Hammer
  28. Lover Boy, Billy Ocean
  29. Lover Girl, Teena Marie
  30. You Belong To The City, Glenn Frey
  31. Oh Sheila, Ready For The World - not ready for me
  32. Rhythm Of The Night, Debarge
  33. One More Night, Phil Collins - Someday I might tell the bad associations I have with this song, but not today.
  34. Sea Of Love, Honeydrippers - Come with me, to the sea. If you stop to think about it, a very dirty song.
  35. A View To A Kill, Duran Duran - this song is forever ruined for me by the startling image of Grace Jones in the Bond movie.
  36. The Wild Boys, Duran Duran
  37. You're The Inspiration, Chicago - For many years, they were. Now, not so much (i)
  38. Neutron Dance, Pointer Sisters
  39. We Belong, Pat Benatar
  40. Nightshift, Commodores - this song appealed to the history geek in me and taught me about Marvin Gaye and Jackie Wilson.
  41. Things Can Only Get Better, Howard Jones - they could, and this song would help.
  42. All I Need, Jack Wagner
  43. Freeway Of Love, Aretha Franklin
  44. Never Surrender, Corey Hart - please, surrender
  45. Sussudio, Phil Collins - there was a running joke about campus while I was in college, that he was really saying, "ssssSunyA!" for SUNY at Albany.
  46. Strut, Sheena Easton
  47. You Give Good Love, Whitney Houston
  48. The Search Is Over, Survivor - yes, yes it is.
  49. Missing You, Diana Ross
  50. Separate Lives, Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin - My girlfriend in college, who was later my first wife, use to sing duets like this, a la Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze in "Dirty Dancing." Stop laughing.
  51. Raspberry Beret, Prince and The Revolution
  52. Suddenly, Billy Ocean
  53. The Boys Of Summer, Don Henley - We had a lot of Cadillacs on Long Island, but very few with Dead Head stickers on the back of them.
  54. One Night In Bangkok, Murray Head - really?
  55. If You Love Somebody Set Them Free, Sting
  56. Obsession, Animotion
  57. We Don't Need Another Hero, Tina Turner
  58. Material Girl, Madonna
  59. Better Be Good To Me, Tina Turner
  60. Head Over Heels, Tears For Fears
  61. Axel F, Harold Faltermeyer - only because of Beverly Hills Cop
  62. Smooth Operator, Sade
  63. In My House, Mary Jane Girls
  64. Don't Lose My Number, Phil Collins - Rikki, do you have it? Is the number 867-5309? Is Jenny there?
  65. All Through The Night, Cyndi Lauper
  66. Run To You, Bryan Adams
  67. Glory Days, Bruce Springsteen - yep, they were (i)
  68. Voices Carry, 'Til Tuesday - not only do they carry, they hurt a little bit.
  69. Misled, Kool and The Gang
  70. Would I Lie To You?, Eurythmics - "Would I say something that wasn't true?" Nope, not me.
  71. Be Near Me, ABC
  72. No More Lonely Nights, Paul McCartney
  73. I Can't Hold Back, Survivor
  74. Summer Of '69, Bryan Adams - This evokes more college memories than high school (i)
  75. Walking On Sunshine, Katrina and The Waves - Possibly one of the catchiest tunes ever issued (i)
  76. Freedom, Wham!
  77. Too Late For Goodbyes, Julian Lennon - Where have you gone, Jule?
  78. Valotte, Julian Lennon
  79. Some Like It Hot, Power Station
  80. Solid, Ashford and Simpson - yep, like a rock
  81. Angel, Madonna
  82. I'm On Fire, Bruce Springsteen - "Hey, little girl is your daddy home?" Not cool, Boss.
  83. Method Of Modern Love, Daryl Hall and John Oates - M-E-T-H-O-D!
  84. Lay Your Hands On Me, Thompson Twins
  85. Who's Holding Donna Now, Debarge - who cares!
  86. Lonely Ol' Night, John Cougar Mellencamp - who? Mellancamp? John Cougar? John Mellancamp.
  87. What About Love, Heart - I had a friend in HS who really, really liked Heart.
  88. California Girls, David Lee Roth - Don't mess with the Beach Boys.
  89. Fresh, Kool and The Gang - stale
  90. Do What You Do, Jermaine Jackson
  91. Jungle Of Love, The Time
  92. Born In The USA, Bruce Springsteen - C'mon, it's the anthem! (i)
  93. Private Dancer, Tina Turner - Um, sure, nice legs, but Ms. Tina has never been my thing.
  94. Who's Zoomin' Who, Aretha Franklin
  95. Fortress Around Your Heart, Sting - Hey, I had "Dream of the Blue Turtles on vinyl, baby!
  96. Penny Lover, Lionel Richie
  97. All She Wants To Do Is Dance, Don Henley (i)
  98. Dress You Up, Madonna
  99. Sentimental Street, Night Ranger
  100. Sugar Walls, Sheena Easton

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Now there's a trip down memory lane. I'm scared by the number of songs on this list to which I still know the words. I still have the vinyl versions of a few of them. Too bad the turntable's busted.

Lana Gramlich said...

Gads...Ironically I still have most of these in one form or another (I even just listened to Kool & the Gang's "Misled" just the other day.)
Thanks for the reminder of "In My House" by the Mary Jane Girls. I loved that tune & now have to go order the CD used from Amazon. *L*
"Private Eyes" kicked ass. There. I've said it. Hall & Oates were awesome back then. So strange that they seem to have just vanished from the face of the Earth so suddenly!

stinkypaw said...

I guess we're from the same era... and we share the same musical taste.. back then! ;-) (except for "One More Night", Phil Collins)

Archivalist said...

Wow, blasts from the past. At first glance, I'd probably strike through 50-60 of them. Ick. I'll have to give this a try...

Brave Astronaut said...

C - This is the beauty of an iPod, you could create a special playlist and then go feather your hair and get some really big shoulder pads and be good to go.

Lana - Some groups just didn't age well did they? And Air Supply wasn't even on the list.

Paw - as I said, "One More Night" has some mixed feelings for me. It involves prom, and girls.

Pat - I'll look forward to your list.