Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Spanning the Web . . . .

I have a bunch of random things that I have been meaning to toss out here. None, on their own, warrant a post alone, so here's the big bucket of Internet goodies.
  • If you want me I am likely playing either of these two new Flash games that I tell myself, sure, I'll only play for a few minutes. Then it's midnight. Ameobas and Filler.
  • From Jason Kottke (are you following him yet? Is his blog in your reader yet? Why NOT!) - his best links from 2008.
  • I had grand ideas of coupling this outstanding poster with some great recipe involving Breakfast Cereal, or perhaps reconstructing Ally Sheedy's sandwich recipe from this movie. But have a look at the poster and laugh.
  • I was recently on the 6th Floor Blog and they were discussing cheese. Then I saw this. I had recommended they go to Artisanal, if you have a cheese thing, you have to go - I think it's a law. Perhaps they can just get the clock. Maybe they'll buy me one.
  • People wonder and marvel at the ease of the Washington Metro system. They recoil in horror at the prospect of riding the New York City subway. How do you think they'd react to a commute from Omega Centauri to Cygnus? That transfer at Galactic Center is a bear!
  • One of the best gifts received by my two sons were large Scrabble tiles with the letters of their names. Thanks OSGs! Now I need one of these.
  • Although I LOVE the commercial (nearly spit my drink the first time I saw it - thank God for TiVO so I could verify that they indeed had said that) - I do NOT need one of these, I think.
  • One of my other favorite places to visit is Google Sightseeing. The other day they profiled the Very Large Array in New Mexico. I've been there. It's very impressive, but as Mrs. Brave Astronaut says, they couldn't come up with a better name? It's like calling Hoover Dam, the "Really Big Dam."
  • Wouldn't you expect this place to be a little bit bigger? Or is it a case of "forgive me for the crudity of the model, [He] didn't have time to build it to scale or paint it?"
  • Do you have any money? I would so buy this phone number. And my names not even Jenny - then again neither is the guy who currently has it. It can currently be yours for a cool quarter million dollars on eBay.
  • Finally, you all know of my dental troubles. At least I'm not this kid.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brave Astronaut:
A recipe (much loved by many) involving breakfast cereal.

K-Bars
In large pot, melt together:
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
Do not let it burn!!
Add 5 cups Special K, stir until all cereal is coated, then press into a greased 9x13 pan and let it set.

Melt together 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips and 6 oz butterscotch chips; our over set cookie. When chocolate mix firms up, cut into pieces and enjoy the sugar rush (but its good for you, because its Special K).

Lana Gramlich said...

*ROFL @ the breakfast cereal club!* Priceless!
I love the NYC transit system, both above AND below ground. I mean, how badly can you get lost on an island that's only 8x2 miles, anyway?
Don't laugh--I've sometimes thought about giving loud 'n clear a try, if only for my hikes in the woods. I laugh at the commercials, too. The way the guy's listening in as the women across the room talk about how cute he is. I envision much worse commercials, like where he gets to listen in as they discuss what a herpes-ridden wh*remaster he is, etc., etc. I think there's a lot of "play" room in those commercials, & I'm a sick b*stard. ;) *L*

Mary Witzl said...

I checked out that last link. Very funny, although remind me to make sure my kids never get anesthetized; I have enough trouble getting them out of bed in the morning as it is.

Now let me get out of here before I memorize Philly Girl's K-Bar recipe... (If she'd just left out the peanut butter, I'd have been perfectly safe.)

6th Floor blog said...

Damn, that's a cool clock too.

Haven't made it to Artisanal, but I've thought about it.

Brave Astronaut said...

Philly - You know that if I weren't already married, I would snap you right up if you make me stuff like that.

Lana - As I said, I had to rewind that commercial several times to make sure I had heard it correctly. Absolutely priceless.

Mary - As always, a pleasure to have you come by.

6th Floor - Next time I'm in NYC, we're going. That's the end of it.