Thursday, April 23, 2009

Everything New is Old Again

Coke is no longer "classic." People of a certain age (including me) will certainly remember the "soda fail" that Coca-Cola went through when the came out with New Coke in 1985. To combat the backlash, "Coca-Cola classic" was born and New Coke went away. Well now that nearly twenty-five years has passed since one of the biggest marketing blunders in history, the "classic" is being dropped from the name.

This is also the time of year when you can obtain Coke without high fructose corn syrup (it's primarily a Passover thing). Look for those yellow caps, people. Coincidentally, Pepsi has noticed and are preparing to launch their own line of cane sugar drinks. They're calling them "Throwback" drinks.

So it would seem we know where the marketing guys who came up with "New Coke" went to work after they lost their jobs . . . .

5 comments:

Eryl said...

Passover Coke, I wonder if we can get that here?

Lana Gramlich said...

Coca Cola Classic wasn't the same as the original Coke, either, as I recall. Not that I'm not totally addicted, anyway...
Remember Cherry Coke? Do they still make that, I wonder.

Brave Astronaut said...

Eryl - Look for the Yellow Cap!

Lana - Cherry Coke makes me think of Syosset Lanes, when they would make it at the counter with real cherry syrup.

Charles said...

OK, call me paranoid but I always thought New Coke was a ploy. By removing Coke from the market, launching a new drink, and then waiting a while to reintroduce Coke Classic they were able to change the old recipe to something cheaper sweetened with HFCS without allowing the consumer a side-by-side comparison of two. Had New Coke succeeded that would have been a bonus but its success was optional.

Naturally, I was wearing my tinfoil hat when I received the above info.

Brave Astronaut said...

Charles - Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Perhaps it was the Cheverly political machine . . .