Monday, April 6, 2009

Shrimp with Broccoli

Last week I lamented the lack of Baked Potato Soup in my life now that we live some distance from the Houston's restaurant that could provide it to us easily. Another culinary delight that is missing for me here in the Brave Astronaut neighborhood is good Chinese food. I miss Golden House. Perhaps I should add that to my platform for my Council Member Campaign - Good Chinese Food here in Cheverly!

My favorite order for Chinese is Shrimp with Broccoli, so I was excited to see the Amateur Gourmet post a recipe for it. Perhaps I will give it a shot here at home.

Enjoy!

Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli

1. Heat the oven to 425.

2. On a large cookie sheet, toss together 2 pounds of broccoli cut up into florets (but not teensy tiny florets, I like a little stem attached), 2 Tbs olive oil, 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds (or 1/2 tsp. ground), 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds (or 1/2 tsp. ground), 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/8th tsp hot chili powder. Spread into a single layer and pop into the oven for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, toss together one pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined, with 2 Tbs olive oil, lemon zest from one lemon, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper (I just eyeball the salt and pepper) in a bowl. When the broccoli's been in the oven 10 minutes, add the shrimp to the broccoli and toss (carefully.)

4. Roast another 10 minutes, tossing once halfway through, until the broccoli is "tender and golden around the edges."

2 comments:

Philly Girl said...

YUMMY!! I made this last week when I was off for some R&R (no, not a vacation), and it was delicious and oh so easy. I added some red onion (had some left from another recipe)and it added a nice touch, and additional color. Highly recommend.

JACT said...

This is delicious. I've been giving friends copies of this recipe since I first read it a few months back and meaning to post a comment.

One problem using a flat cookie sheet I wound up setting off the smoke detector when some of the oil and seasonings slid off the sheet onto the bottom of the over. A pan with a slight lip on all four sides prevents spills and inquiries from the neighbors.

Ever since the weather got warm enough, we've been cookng this on the Weber grill where an oil drip or smoke is no problem. Tastes great cooked outdoors, too.