Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Houses of Baseball

In one week's time, I will be shepherding the ninth outing of SAA Baseball at the SAA Annual Meeting in Austin, Texas. Want to go? I can still get you on the bus. Let me know.

So the other day on Facebook, I took one of the Living Social "Top 5" lists for "Baseball Stadiums I have been in . . . and saw a game." As the list confined me to only 5, I was interested in how many stadiums I have been to. So if you'll indulge me.

Major League Baseball:
  1. Nationals Park, and also RFK Stadium. I have been to every opening day of the Washington Nationals so far.
  2. Yankee Stadium - the most recently demolished one, I don't think I can go to the new one.
  3. Shea Stadium - again, the original, you know that "purple stadium"
  4. Oriole Park at Camden Yards
  5. Chase Field - home of the Arizona Diamondbacks (watched the game from a luxury box)
  6. Citizens Bank Park - home of the Philadelphia Phillies / also saw a game at Veterans Memorial Stadium
  7. Wrigley Field - 2007 SAA Meeting
  8. Dodger Stadium - 2003 SAA Meeting
  9. Coors Field - 2000 SAA Meeting
  10. Three Rivers Stadium - 1999 SAA Meeting (the first JAL Tours outing)
  11. Fenway Park - home of the Boston Red Sox, but not for a game, it was the closing reception site for the 2004 SAA Annual Meeting
Minor League Parks:
  1. Baysox Stadium (home of the Bowie Bay Sox), Bowie, Maryland
  2. Zephyr Field (home of the New Orleans Zephyrs), 2005 SAA Meeting
  3. Dutchess Stadium (home of the Hudson Valley Renegades), Fishkill, New York
  4. Appalachian Power Park (home of the West Virginia Power), Charleston, West Virginia
Other Stadiums:
  1. Rickwood Field - Birmingham, Alabama, 2002 SAA Meeting
  2. Scottsdale Stadium - Scottsdale, Arizona, spring training park of the San Francisco Giants
  3. Legends Field - Tampa, Florida, spring training home of the New York Yankees (though not for a game, I just went there to get the "aura"
Certainly not a big list. By my count (at this website), there are more than 175 stadiums, parks, and fields for baseball teams around the country. (If you're wondering, that's 30 major league parks, 30 AAA parks, 30 double A parks, 60 single A parks, and 26 spring training fields, along with countless others with unaffiliated teams). Maybe if I drop everything and started touring I could get to all of them - but not likely.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And don't forget, Cooperstown, Williamsport, etc.

Brave Astronaut said...

Cooperstown - yes / Williamsport - No