Monday, August 17, 2009

Rhubarb Twofer

It has been noted here before, I will pretty much do anything for you if you show up with a strawberry rhubarb pie at my door. I love the great combination that these two make. Here are two recipes, one for just a Rhubarb cake, offered by my neighbor, Pricklygirl - and the second for a Strawberry-Rhubarb crisp from the gang at DCist.

Rhubarb Cake
Note from Kathryn: I grew up with this cake. It is one of my all-time favorites! I know that you’ll enjoy it, too.
  • 1 1/2 C. packed brown sugar
  • 2 C. shortening (Crisco or butter)
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 1 C. sour milk
  • 2 C. flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix all ingredients together. Add 1 1/2 C. rhubarb, cut up small. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.
Top cake with 1/2 c. sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon mixed together. Bake at 325 degrees l hour . . . use a toothpick to test, it should come out clean.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Filling:
  • 1 lb strawberries, stems removed and cut into quarters
  • 1/2 lb rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
Topping:
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, toss fruit with sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and corn starch until well coated. Pour fruit into an 8"X8" square baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine butter, oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, mash together all ingredients together until it forms moist clumps. The mixture is ready when there are no more visible pieces of butter or flour.

Sprinkle chunks of topping over the surface of the fruit. Bake until top is browned and fruit is bubbling, about 25 - 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummmmm.... rhubarb. I've moved on to cherry rhubarb pie...

stinkypaw said...

Mmmm... I've copied both of these, I'll let you know how I liked them! Thanks!

Brave Astronaut said...

They both do sound good don't they?