Friday, August 21, 2009

Let's Not Dwell on This, Shall We?

Next week, the majority of colleges and universities will be getting back into session. And every year, Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin publishes the mindset list that reminds us all how old we are. It details what the freshmen (mostly born in 1990 [shudder]) entering college this year have only ever known.

Here are some of the highlights [lowlights?] from this year's list.
  • For these students, Sammy Davis Jr., Jim Henson, Ryan White, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Freddy Krueger have always been dead
  • GPS satellite navigation systems have always been available.
  • Coke and Pepsi have always used recycled plastic bottles.
  • Electronic filing of tax returns has always been an option.
  • As a precursor to “whatever,” they have recognized that some people “just don’t get it.”
  • Universal Studios has always offered an alternative to Mickey in Orlando.
  • Films have never been X rated, only NC-17.
  • We have always known that “All I Ever Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.”
  • IBM has never made typewriters.
  • They have never been able to color a tree using a raw umber Crayola.
  • The Tonight Show has always been hosted by Jay Leno and started at 11:35 EST.
  • Lenin’s name has never been on a major city in Russia.
  • Caller ID has always been available on phones.
  • Iced tea has always come in cans and bottles.
  • Soft drink refills have always been free.
  • The Hubble Space Telescope has always been eavesdropping on the heavens.
  • 98.6 F or otherwise has always been confirmed in the ear.

4 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

I think before these kids graduate a member of a medical staff (or their parents) should use a rectal thermometer on them. I bet I really dated myself there.

Lana Gramlich said...

This reminds me of a conversation I had with Randy years ago, where he said, incredulously; "Lana...Can you believe we're 30???" I had to remind him that we were actually 33. I bet he looks back on those days with great fondness now.
Time truly does fly. I seemed to be completely okay with "aging" until I hit 38. With a lot of people 40 seems to be the magic number, but at 38 something clicked in my brain & said, "wait a minute here now!" Charles is 9 yrs older than I, however, so I don't kvetch about it much.

Lana Gramlich said...

In a similar but different vein, about 2 years ago I lost the highest pitches in my voice, reducing my range from 3 to 2 octaves. It was devastating to me at first. I'm getting used to it now. Someday I know I'll wish that was the worst thing that'd happen...

Brave Astronaut said...

Anna - some medical advances are worth it - try taking a temperature on a squirming toddler.

Lana - that's the thing about time . . . it passes