Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"You're 20 feet short"

First up, name the movie. A movie that, I will note is despised by Mrs. BA. But it's a great movie.

There is never a time that, if I find myself in the Lincoln Tunnel, will I not think of the scene in The Stand, where two of the characters make their way out of New York City by walking across the roofs of cars filled with people who have succumbed to "Captain Trips." We have a few tunnels in the DC area (though not one like the one depicted in Live Free or Die Hard), but none that go under water. The Baltimore Harbor Tunnel and the Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore take traffic under Baltimore Harbor and I can recall visiting my sister, when she lived in Maryland, and waving at the attendants in the booths in those tunnels. There's a job that surely doesn't pay enough, nor I imagine is even one that exists anymore, with camera technology being what it is now.

When I spotted these (on kottke) maps of tunnel networks, I was also reminded of my days in college, where one could go from one's dorm building to classrooms and never have to go outside, via a system of underground passages. In the winter, that came in very handy.

Did you figure out the movie yet?
[update [red-faced]: It was only twenty feet and not thirty - now, "we're back on the rope!"]

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you ever been through this? http://www.cbbt.com/

Definitely fun, sometimes a little scary.

Brave Astronaut said...

Not yet, but it's on my "bucket" list. I've wanted to go through it for some time.

Lana Gramlich said...

I've never seen "The Great Escape." I used to get a kick out of tunnels, but they grew to make me nervous. In CND, on a regular basis I had to take a very short tunnel under the Welland Canal. As the years went on, a small leak developed & grew. No one ever addressed it. For all I know it's ready to cave today. Let's hear it for crumbling infrastructure!
No tunnels in S. LA, of course. Whew.

Brave Astronaut said...

Lana - that would make you Charles Bronson (who digs the tunnels in the Great Escape - but is claustrophobic).