Friday, April 2, 2010

A Call I Already Answered

Just in case you were wondering, I am not running for Governor of New York State. Not right now anyway. But in a previous era, before I became an archivist, I was a teacher. I was one of those rare few who went off to college knowing what they wanted to be. I started my teaching career in the district where I went to school, which was a bit of a surreal experience.

One of my best teaching stories was when I was student teaching and was talking about the French and Indian War. To illustrate how the British forces scaled the cliffs from the St. Lawrence River to attack Quebec, I went from the floor, to a chair, and then stood on a desk, while I talked about the battle. When I announced that General Wolfe is killed during the heat of the battle on the Plains of Abraham, I jumped off the desk.

The following year, I served as a chaperon on a school trip with some of these same students to Quebec. As we toured the city and stopped at the Plains of Abraham, I had several students come up to me (mind you a year later, now), saying, "This is what you were talking about, wasn't it?" I nearly wept with joy.

While my teaching career never really panned out, I always enjoy watching movies about teaching. Just the other day I tuned in and watched "Stand and Deliver," starring Edward James Olmos as Jaime Escalante. I was sad to see that Escalante lost a battle with cancer this week. He was one of those teachers that I always wanted to be.

In no particular order, along with Stand and Deliver, a few of my favorite teaching movies are:

5 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

When we saw the Plains of Abraham, I learned it was where the "greatest battle that was never fought" from the tour guide. I could have used your class. ;)

Lana Gramlich said...

Congratulations on getting through to at least some of your students. That's no small feat, you know.

Unknown said...

What, no Election?

J in PA said...

I am always partial to the movie "Teachers" with Nick Nolte. I can picture you in Richard Mulligan's role. Like you, he knew how to have fun teaching history.

Brave Astronaut said...

Anna - tutoring in American History is always available for you.

Lana - it truly was a special moment.

C - Seen it. But it didn't quite move me.

J - Now that's a good movie.