Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Call to Serve

I have always enjoyed politics. I have run for elected office in several of the professional organizations to which I belong, and last spring, I ran for a seat on the Town Council. My father always tells me that I would make a really good politician.

Frequent readers may have noticed that I have been sporadically posting here and have renewed my efforts to try and post more here. This a partial explanation for today's post. One of the reasons I have not been posting here is that I have been busy with a lot of other stuff.

I was approached by the New York State Democratic Party to see if I would consider a run for the governorship of the Empire State. As you may know, the incumbent governor of New York has had his share of problems and will not be running for a term of his own. The current Attorney General of New York, Andrew Cuomo, is expected to announce that he will seek the office of Governor of New York.

However, the party has decided to look elsewhere for a fresh, new face. When I lived in New York, one of the positions I held was working at the Rockefeller Archive Center, processing the papers of Nelson A. Rockefeller, Governor of New York from 1958-1973. The party came to me and asked me what it would take to embark on this fool's errand.

I informed them that I would certainly need to move back to New York and establish residency. Not a problem, they said, for as an alumni of the State University of Albany, they would set aside a full floor in one of the dorm towers for me to live with my family.

Further, I explained that I had no war chest of funds to mount a serious challenge for AG Cuomo, who had better name recognition and the added advantage of his father's name and record to run on. Evidently when questioned about this, AG Cuomo agreed that I would make the better candidate in the current political climate and he would agree to run with me as my Lt. Governor.

I decided that I could put them off no longer. So, today, on this First Day of April, I am pleased to announce my candidacy for Governor of New York State. Will you join me?

3 comments:

Catharine said...

Can I be your Lt. Governor?

Lana Gramlich said...

Ohhhhhhhh...I get it. April Fools. Okay, okay...you got me. I'm very sick right now, though. Unfortunately VERY sick.

Brave Astronaut said...

Cat - absolutely. It would good to have a good lawyer.

Lana - sorry to hear that - hope you are on the mend