Monday, July 2, 2007

It's Gotta Be Flag Cake

When choosing a recipe for this week, it's got to be one that works for Independence Day. This is one that I had nearly every year growing up on the Fourth. The cake usually came compliments of one of my mother's friends. There was usually a party at our house as the Fourth is also my father's birthday. One year, I even staged a small fireworks display in the lot across from my house. Other years, we would often gather up the street at the homes of two families that would often stop at South of the Border and buy fireworks for the neighborhood display. This of course, in the days before people got "concerned" about hands getting blown off and stuff.

But anyway, here is one recipe. You can alter to your taste, but you got to get the fruit placed right.
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Cake (get a yellow cake mix, or make from scratch, if you're devoted)
  • Whipped cream icing

Make two rectangular cakes (13x9). Let cool. Slice strawberries lengthwise from the stem. On top of one layer of cake place strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream. Place second layer of cake on top and frost with whipped cream icing. Decorate with blueberries in a star field (upper left) and use strawberries slices to make stripes. Serve. I prefer stripes over stars. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anna van Schurman said...

I once made this cake for my dad when he was in the hospital over the 4th. Well, one of the times...

It's also you're--if I'm devoted. And I'm not; I used Sarah Lee pound cake. (You know I can't help myself, right?)