Tuesday, July 10, 2007

It's the Mid-Summer Classic

It is nearly 10:00pm here in the East and the Major League Baseball All-Star Game is in the bottom of the third inning. I could go on to rant how there are millions of children who will never know about All-Star Games and World Series games until they are older and are allowed to stay up late. But I won't go down that road. Just know that I could.

I will say that I like baseball. I love the spectacle and tonight's opening ceremony with Willie Mays was one to remember. Ted Williams is reported to have said they created the All-Star game for Willie Mays. He played in 24 of them. He is a legend in the game and should be celebrated at a time when the game is poised to honor a player who will break Hank Aaron's homerun record. Wouldn't it be nice if pitchers refused to pitch to Barry Bonds for the remainder of the season?

On Saturday, I will attend my first Baltimore Orioles game of the season, when the Birds will face off against the Chicago White Sox. I am doing my part to help Anna Von Schurman with her list of 1001 Things To Do (see #19). The following week, I will return to RFK Stadium to see the hapless Washington Nationals.

This is all in preparation for my trip to Chicago in late August, where I will attend a Chicago Cubs game with a large group of archivists when we converge on the Windy City for the Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting. It should be a good time for all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see the part about Willie Mays being Barry Bond's godfather?

Anna van Schurman said...

And she thanks you. She'd have never gotten off her butt to get tickets.

ADR said...

What is the sport you speak of - Baseball? Don't you know that today was the day that the NHL released the 07-08 schedule. You should reserve December 12 and February 10 now...

Archivalist said...

Maybe by late August they'll be the Chicago Cub(an)s.