Monday, October 15, 2007

Houston, we have a phone AND Demands Met

I spent most of the day sitting by the phone today (the one at work, the one that works) waiting for the fine folks at Verizon to call to say they were on their way to install my phone service. To bring you all up to date, they were supposed to come yesterday between 8:00am and 1:00pm. When I called at 10:30, they were still coming. When they hadn't arrived by 2:30, I went out. Verizon alleges they came at 4:30 but there was no one home. Here's the funny part. The phone number that I am going to have, has voicemail on it. Today I was given instructions on how to set it up. So I did. Then I heard there was a message on it. Want to guess who the message was from?

Wait for it . . .
"Hi, this is the Verizon installation department. We just wanted to let you know the installer is running late but should be there soon. We'll call before we arrive."
Um, yeah. Verizon called the number which they were to install to leave me a message. I'll let that sink in for a moment.

Go ahead, think about it, I'll wait.

So when I talked to the installation department this morning, I made sure they would call me at work, so I might actually get the call, and be able to go home to meet the technician. You just have to know that somewhere a bunch of Verizon techs are drawing straws to see who has to deal with me. So the guy showed up around 6:45 and had the phone hooked up in about 30 minutes. I forgot what a nice sound a dial tone can be.

So, yesterday afternoon, I sent the email I shared with you the other day. This morning, my friend Nancy called. She had been busy. First, she was checking to see if the number was active. It was she who told me the line is active, but it just doesn't ring at the house, nor can I make outgoing calls.

Then she told me what she was going to do for me to make me feel a little better and not want to take a hammer to Verizon's equipment. She did OK:

  • She credited my entire account at the old address, including my wireless charges so I don't have to pay that bill. In fact, she reports, and I confirmed online, there is a $.03 balance. Think I should hang them for the three pennies? Credit = about $167
  • She has credited me for all charges incurred at the new address to date, primarily for the Internet, as that is the only thing I have right now. Credit = about $50
  • There will be a $10 reduction on my phone service for the next 12 months. Credit / Savings = $120
  • She is sending a second American Express gift card in the amount of $100. Total bonus = $200.
So Verizon has given me about $600 in credits, refunds, and free cash. Is it enough? And I was even nice to the technician when he arrived. Funny how he mentioned to me that my story seemed typical. Hmmm.

For those tuning in for a recipe, yes, I know it's Monday, but another moving issue is the new stove is still not hooked up and I am hoping to be able to cook again soon. Maybe you'll get double recipes next week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh, success! Congratulations!

Now - on to the stove. Isn't it bliss being a homeowner?

dd

Anonymous said...

Yyyeeeaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Kim Ayres said...

Clearly not a company to take shares out in then