Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Lighthouse Challenge(s)


I am a fan of lighthouses. I think it comes from summers in Maine, where we were within walking distance of this lighthouse. And I could see this one every day from the cliff where my grandmother's house sat. And of course, I grew up on Long Island and went to see this one and this one on many occasions.

I have lost count along the way as to how many I have visited. Maybe I'll make a more complete list and post it another day. But I wanted to bring your attention to something that, while I have missed it for this year, is on my calendar for next year. The Maryland Lighthouse Challenge took place on September 15-16 and was covered in the Washington Post today. Next year's event will take place on September 20-21, 2008. Who's with me? In 2006, 507 people participated, this year, 459 have reported as taking part in the challenge.

If you are free this weekend, the NJ Lighthouse Challenge is this weekend. I will be otherwise engaged (Mr. and Mrs. Brave Astronaut have a wedding to attend in the PA boro). The 4th Annual Long Island Lighthouse Challenge will take place in May 2008. So there are a lot more people out there who have this "disease" a lot worse than I.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone do this by boat? That could be fun.

Anonymous said...

Climbing out of my pretzel oven from time to time, I have actually done a portion of the NJ Lighthouse Challenge, and it was great fun. The Maryland Challenge sounds cool--looks like they do an on the water version too. But not only is this weekend the NJ challenge, it is also the cranberry festival--another not to be missed NJ experience.

PhillyGirl

Anonymous said...

Dear Brave Astronaut,
I saw this Edward Hopper lighthouse painting at the National Gallery on my recent visit to D.C.

Have you been yet? I think it's there until January.

Also, last fall when we visited SB in Maine we did take a tour to Nubble Lighthouse by boat. It was very fun.

dd