Tuesday, October 16, 2007

MARAC Williamsburg

I have wanted to post this for over a week. But things have gotten in the way. And today, I went through root canal on a tooth that had root canal five years ago. What fun. So while I sit here doing things that need to be done, allow me to make some amends to my professional organization.

I have been a bad professional. Caught up in the move and my fight against monopolies, I have neglected my responsibilities as treasurer of my professional organization. It also has something to do with the fact that my desk is now located in the living room and is pretty much the only piece of furniture in the room (read: NO TV). Needless to say, I don't like to sit there very much.

But it is where the computer is and as for the longest time it was my only outlet to the outside world, here I sat to talk to you all nice folks. And remember the phone works now, so please call. I can talk to you on that, too.

But again, I digress and am disrespecting the fact that in two weeks time, my colleagues and I will gather in Williamsburg, Virginia for the Fall 2007 meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference. One of the members of the Local Arrangements Committee is an outstanding blogger with a fabulous sense of humor (she's got a great sarcastic streak, I think that's why I like her) has started a blog for the meeting. Go read it here. And yes, I have put the check for the caterer in the mail to you, ma'am.

The program is particularly good, including this session featuring the Brave Astronaut:
"Shifting Gears: Mid-Career Job Changes" Have you thought about leaving your current employer for a new position? Have your concerns kept you from doing anything about it? The archival profession offers an amazing range of career possibilities. Come hear our panelists who have changed jobs, why they did so, and how they managed the moves. They will discuss the good, bad, funny, and ugly. If you have questions for the panel, please submit them ahead of time.
I want to thank the aforementioned LAC member who noted on the Williamsburg blog, all the good places to hit the links. I am not staying at the conference hotel, in fact, the Brave Astronaut family is trying to get there a day or two ahead of time so I might play a round with Special K's AH.

But I would probably like to go here as well. It just looks kind of cool. There is also outlet shopping. And we will be there on Halloween, so there will certainly be something scary to do.

No comments: