Saturday, November 10, 2007

This Blog Post is Brought to you by the Letter B and A

Today marks the 38th anniversary of the debut of Sesame Street. Now, with a child of my own (who is closing in on his third birthday!), I am reacquainting myself with the characters I grew up with as well as a whole new crowd.

On this date in 1969, the children's television program, Sesame Street, appeared on the airwaves for the first time. We met Gordon, Bob, Mr. Hooper and a few other "grownups" that interacted with the new Muppet characters. Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch (who didn't start out green), Bert and Ernie, Kermit, and Cookie Monster all appeared on this first episode.

Thankfully, no Elmo. While he is one of the mainstays of today's Sesame Street, he did not appear until later. It is unfortunate that while my son has seen Sesame Street, he also knows of Elmo, who I find to be grating. Even more disturbing was my son looking at a drink glass that he uses in the bathroom, exclaiming "Mickey Mouse!" which is depicted on the cup. We have sheltered him from the Mouse. How did he find out about it? Does this mean a trip to the Magic Kingdom can be far behind?

May God Help Me.

2 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Remember when Mr. Hooper died? That was so sad...
Almost 3 already! Gads, time flies. Speaking of which, today's my older nephew's birthday. He's 7 now, I think...gads...
I'm with you on Elmo. Good luck shielding ANYONE from the omni-reaching grip of Disney. They own WAY too many media outlets these days. <:(

Lana Gramlich said...

BTW, I think my favorite character was Grover. I was struck with the realization, years later, that Grover's voice had been given to Yoda. When Yoda speaks, I can still see Grover in my head. It's kind of surreal in a funny way.