Monday, March 3, 2008

Oh, Fudge

I will admit it right up front. Not only is the recipe from Anna, I stole the title of the post from her to. Now if I could only get her to make the fudge, too. This is her grandmother's recipe.
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 1 lb brown sugar
  • 1 lb confectioner's sugar
  • piece of butter, size of an egg yellow
  • 2 1/2 heaping t Hershey cocoa
  • 2 1/2 heaping t of marshmallow
  • 3/4 cup walnuts
Put milk, sugar, and butter in a deep pan. Stir continuously until you can drop a bit into cold water and it's kind of caramel-ly in about 1/2 hour. Keep stirring. Then put in marshmallow, stir, put in nuts, stir. Pour into butter greased pan.

Here's my interpretation:
butter, 1 T; about 4 teaspoons of cocoa; and I used marshmallow fluff for the marshmallow because this isn't the kind of fudge that has marshmallow chunks in it. I put the pan on medium heat because who knows what it is supposed to be. At about 20 minutes, there was a definite change in how it felt to stir it and lo, and behold, when I dropped some into cold water it didn't just seem "caramel-ly," it tasted just like caramel. I put the cocoa in when I put in the marshmallow, because it doesn't say when to add that. (I love that kind of recipe the best!) I probably should have taken it all off the heat at that point, and with future attempts I probably will. You should probably switch to a whisk when you put in the fluff because it's a lot of work to get the lumpy marshmallow incorporated with a wooden spoon. I think it was smart to use a glass pan, but grease it within an inch of its life because this stuff is hard to get out of the pan!

Coming next week, the other fudge, which is pictured here. Then you too will be able to have a fudge-off in your own homes (oh, that sounds dirty).

3 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

One correction: it's my great grandmother's recipe. FYI My mother thinks you should use regular ol' teaspoons instead of measuring teaspoons for this recipe. And she reckons it's two tablespoons of butter. Just take it off the heat sooner than I did!

Lana Gramlich said...

Fudge-off. *LOL!*

Anonymous said...

please make some and bring it over! yum