Wednesday, November 4, 2009

On the Cusp of History

So here I sit, watching game 6 of the Yankee Game - will they win their 27th World Series? Things are looking up. Mariano's in for five outs.

There are several anniversaries to mark this week:
  • On this date in 1979, the American Embassy in Tehran was stormed, resulting in the Hostage Crisis that lasted until the inauguration of Ronald Reagan in January 1981.
  • This weekend, as was noted by Chancellor Angela Merkel during her speech to a joint session of Congress this week, the world will observe the twentieth anniversary of the Fall of Berlin Wall
  • I previously noted (in a post here in 2007) about the premiere of Sesame Street on November 10, 1969
  • On HBO this week, a new documentary will remember the election of Barack Obama one year ago.
  • One of the more popular songs on the Brave Astronaut iPod is Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, a coal ship, which sank in the Great Lakes on November 10, 1975.


3 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

When I lived in Canada I knew someone who's father had been friends with the Captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald. There's something about that ship that fascinates me (while horrifying me, at the same time, of course.)

stinkypaw said...

I think Mr. Lightfoot is in town at the moment... :-/

Brave Astronaut said...

Lana - It's possible that because of the true history geek that I am, I may have researched the true story after hearing of the song early on. But that's a great connection to have - did you ever talk to him about it?

Paw - I would see him in concert.