Monday, September 24, 2007

Another Recipe Bailout

While I have found the cookbooks (I have actually "isolated" all of the books in one room - now I just have to find the pegs for the shelves), I don't have a recipe for tonight. Special K was kind enough to forward one that she received from Mrs. OSG. I hope you enjoy it!

BUTTERNUT SQUASH GRATIN WITH ROSEMARY BREADCRUMBS
  • ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
  • 4 cups thinly sliced onions (about 1 pound)
  • 3 ½ to 4 ½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into ½-inch cubes
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • ¾ cup canned chicken broth
  • 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from soft white bread
  • 2 cups (packed) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
  • 2 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until onions are light golden, about 8 minutes. Add squash; sauté 4 minutes. Sprinkle sugar, salt and pepper over vegetables; sauté until onions and squash begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes.

Spread vegetable mixture in prepared dish. Pour chicken broth over. Cover tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes. (Squash mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Reheat in 350°F oven until heated through, about 10 minutes.)

Increase oven temperature to 400°F. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese, rosemary and thyme in medium bowl. Sprinkle over squash mixture. Bake uncovered until top is golden brown and crisp, about 30 minutes.

Makes 10 servings

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big winter squash fan, but this might just change my mind. P in DC will definitely like it.

Special K. said...

I have to admit that I haven't made this recipe yet, but we have a nice harvest of butternut squashes from the garden, so I think I will give it a try very soon.

Good luck getting the books sorted out, oh Brave One!