BUTTERNUT SQUASH GRATIN WITH ROSEMARY BREADCRUMBS
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions (about 1 pound)
- 3 ½ to 4 ½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup canned chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from soft white bread
- 2 cups (packed) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until onions are light golden, about 8 minutes. Add squash; sauté 4 minutes. Sprinkle sugar, salt and pepper over vegetables; sauté until onions and squash begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
Spread vegetable mixture in prepared dish. Pour chicken broth over. Cover tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes. (Squash mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Reheat in 350°F oven until heated through, about 10 minutes.)
Increase oven temperature to 400°F. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese, rosemary and thyme in medium bowl. Sprinkle over squash mixture. Bake uncovered until top is golden brown and crisp, about 30 minutes.
Makes 10 servings