Friday, September 21, 2007

Yes Virginia, it's only September 21

My wife has an rule with her family. One is not allowed to question one's Thanksgiving plans (specifically hers) until Columbus Day and one may not inquire as to Christmas plans until Veterans Day.

I myself (having toiled in retail hell for several years) bemoan the earlier and earlier arrival of Christmas decorations in the stores. Here we are several weeks away from Halloween and I am sure that garland and tinsel is hanging somewhere.

These two nuggets lead me to today's "This Date in History" entry, for it was on this date (September 22, 1897) that little Virginia O'Hanlon wrote to the New York Sun asking if there was a Santa Claus. It is one of my favorite Christmas stories and I posted a blog entry about the story last Christmas Eve.

I am still breaking open boxes and finding places for our stuff in the new manse. I have some posts in the queue and will hope to be back on track again soon. Happy weekend everyone!

No comments: