Friday, February 29, 2008

A Leap Day Quiz

It's leap day. An interesting point was made to me today. Those of us working for an annual salary, worked for free today. Think about it. An extra day in the year (that whole annual thing). We don't get anything, you know, for the effort.

If you are "leap ignorant," here is an article from the New York Times about the every four year phenomenon. And here's the Wikipedia article on "leap year." Here's the Wikipedia article on historical events, birthdays, and deaths which occurred on February 29.

Here's an interesting historical note. Who's wondered why those kids in Family Circus never get old? The comic strip debuted on leap day in 1960, so if they are celebrating birthdays only every four years . . .

And as it is a day that comes along only once every four years, go here to take it, instead of me posting the questions here. The person who referred it to me said she got two wrong. I got three wrong, but went fast and should have looked closer.

If you're a fan of Google Earth, you'll love this quiz. Feel free to post scores in the comments.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you got the ballpark right. I guessed and got it wrong - and it's one of the one's I've been to. Duh!

dd

Anna van Schurman said...

I have been making that point about working for nothing all week (well, both days I was actually in the office). Everyone thought I was crazy, but I think it's a phenomenon at my workplace--a slave mentality, if you will. {I need a new job!}

Anonymous said...

All but one right - the tropical location. But of course, I hate the tropics (sand, sun, surf - bah, who needs all that heat, humidity and salty air!?!?), so it wasn't a big surprise that I would miss that one.

Archivalist said...

One wrong -- Times Square.

Kim Ayres said...

4 wrong. But considering I'm not American, I thought I did surprisingly well