Wednesday, April 23, 2008

NHL Playoffs - Second Round

I will not speak of last night other than to say, I am saddened by what I saw. Do not count out that team, they will be back and hoisting that cup in the Verizon Center before long. Lets Go Habs.

If you're wondering how I did with my predictions from the first round:
  • Canadiens in 7 - it was a hard series against the Bruins, but I was on the money here.
  • Ottawa in 6 - one presumes you will see a brand new Ottawa team next year. If only they could have beaten on the Pens a little more, instead of being swept by the Pengoons.
  • Caps in 5 - well, I'm sorry. I really thought they would do it.
  • Rangers in 6 - they pulled it out in 5 and looked impressive punishing the Devils.
  • Red Wings in 4 - the President's Cup trophy winners stumbled, needing six games to dispatch the Predators. But hey, it was Nashville, which is in violation of a team that plays hockey where ice does not exist naturally.
  • Flames in 6 - Lets all remember that Sharks swim underwater - they do not skate on top of it. The Sharks were favored, but I still liked the experience of the Flames, who did take the Sharks to seven games.
  • Avalanche in 5 - the Avalanche took an extra game to tame the Wild.
  • Ducks in 5 - the defending Stanley Cup Champions ran into the Stars machine and got fricasseed. It was one of the better series in the first round and the Stars needed all seven games to get out of it.
And while Archival Trash already got his predictions out there, let's just remember his team are already playing golf and have been for two weeks. Here are my predictions for the next round of NHL playoffs.

In the East:
  • Montreal Canadiens vs. the Philadelphia Flyers: Both of these teams took seven games to advance to this round. The Canadiens, who topped the conference are the top seed and survived a scare from the Boston Bruins. The Broad Street Bullies, of course, crushed the hopes and dreams of DC fans last night. I cannot bring myself to pick a team from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, especially this one. But it won't be easy, Canadiens in 6.
  • Pittsburgh Penguins vs. the New York Rangers: My son's teacher is from Pittsburgh. I have friends who live there (that Ed guy). And the Rangers have that guy who used to play there (who I don't really like wearing a Rangers sweater). But my earlier comment stands, no teams from PA get out of this round. Rangers in 6.
For the West:
  • Detroit Red Wings vs. Colorado Avalanche: Both of these teams took six games to make it to the Conference Semifinals, but I am still going with the tradition of the Red Wings over the Avalanche in another good six game series.
  • San Jose Sharks vs. Dallas Stars: Just as I couldn't pick a duck in the first round, I still can't pick a fish over the Stars. Dallas in 5.

4 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

Eek! This is all in a foreign language!

I wish I could understand all of this -- I really do. I also wish I cared, but my spectacular lack of comprehension makes this difficult. Does not understanding baseball mean I'm less of an American? I hope not! I blame my parents. They didn't understand it either.

Archivalist said...

Let's also remember that my team has a Cup, while your local boys have, um, how many?

Really tho, do you think any of these teams are top-notch material? The Wings were #1 of course, but they look, eh, out of sorts sometimes. And no one in the East looks really scary, although I guess the Pens could be that team if everything clicked. What do you think?

6th Floor blog said...

Rangers!

I've really been watching more baseball than playoff hockey though. Might be a shame, but it is what it is.

Anna van Schurman said...

Dude, Pennsylvania hates you too!